PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   Training & Behavioral Issues (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How do I stop my kittens from climbing the dining table? (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=6762)

Kynthia 08-14-2012 09:40 PM

How do I stop my kittens from climbing the dining table?

What can I do to teach my kittens to not climb onto my dining table?

Someone suggested to get a cat tree taller than my dining table as cats by nature like to be on high places. Would this help?

Maneki Neko 08-15-2012 12:10 PM

Re: How do I stop my kittens from climbing the dining table?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, Kynthia --

I have a tall scratching post with sisal rope wrapped around it. The cats climb it and love it, and it has stopped them scratching furniture. That's the good news.

As for keeping them off the dining table, I have given up. Refer to the attached rules of the house. {shy}{ohmygod}

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kynthia (Post 100857)
What can I do to teach my kittens to not climb onto my dining table?

Someone suggested to get a cat tree taller than my dining table as cats by nature like to be on high places. Would this help?

Kynthia 08-15-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maneki Neko (Post 100859)
Hi, Kynthia --

I have a tall scratching post with sisal rope wrapped around it. The cats climb it and love it, and it has stopped them scratching furniture. That's the good news.

As for keeping them off the dining table, I have given up. Refer to the attached rules of the house. {shy}{ohmygod}

Farnee!{good}{good}{good}{shy}{shy}

Meffy 08-24-2012 06:56 PM

LOL..those rules totally apply!! {happy} Thanks for sharing!

Anyway, I slapped my kitten (quite hard {sweat} ) when she got on the table the first time so that thought her a lesson. However the lesson seemed to have worn off now. She would still get on the table but will stalk from afar..like at the edge of the table or hide behind the tissue box (as if I can't see her!{shy} )

But, yeah, I don't think you can teach it completely. I just scold her to push her away whenever she does it. Make sure you keep your food covered {wink}

Kynthia 08-25-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meffy (Post 100930)
I slapped my kitten (quite hard {sweat} ) when she got on the table the first time so that thought her a lesson. However the lesson seemed to have worn off now. She would still get on the table but will stalk from afar..like at the edge of the table or hide behind the tissue box (as if I can't see her!{shy} )

But, yeah, I don't think you can teach it completely. I just scold her to push her away whenever she does it. Make sure you keep your food covered {wink}

Hmm... I can do that whenever I am home... But when I am at work, it's a different story altogether... they will rule the house! So, will they ever learn? {grin}