PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sale of Animals on a Public Forum (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=1905)

Coony 03-20-2009 01:59 PM

Re: Sale of Animals on a Public Forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.lya (Post 35275)
I personally think that not only does the animals from shelters need rescuing, so does the animals sold in petshops - not that I support what they're doing but I know that we can give them a better life here with us.

Note: We all still live with our parents and our house and it's backyard is pretty big. So don't worry about overcrowding. xD

You had a good heart, definitely all the animal in shelters need a good home to go to. I will never agree to buying pets from pet shops bcoz you want to save them that is exactly what they want you to do. How many can you save in this manner? They will produce faster then you can buy. If nobody want to buy from pet shop automatically no demand will lead to no supply.

a.lya 03-20-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coony (Post 35284)
You had a good heart, definitely all the animal in shelters need a good home to go to. I will never agree to buying pets from pet shops bcoz you want to save them that is exactly what they want you to do. How many can you save in this manner? They will produce faster then you can buy. If nobody want to buy from pet shop automatically no demand will lead to no supply.

Well, it is not entirely possible to 'save' all pets sold from petshops and it's true that no demand will lead to no supply, but what happens to the cats if nobody buys them and they get too big? From what I know, most people would prefer to get their cats as kittens because they don't come with the baggage that most old cats do. If nobody buys them, wouldn't the seller just throw them out to the streets and contribute more strays?

dog is my buddy 03-20-2009 02:33 PM

a.lya,
almost they able sell out those pet, very less chance unable to sell, it getting big, the pet shop owner will said you see i make the pet getting well and healthy. I sell to you same price as puppy. hhaah
They have own way to sell those pet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.lya (Post 35289)
Well, it is not entirely possible to 'save' all pets sold from petshops and it's true that no demand will lead to no supply, but what happens to the cats if nobody buys them and they get too big? From what I know, most people would prefer to get their cats as kittens because they don't come with the baggage that most old cats do. If nobody buys them, wouldn't the seller just throw them out to the streets and contribute more strays?

a.lya 03-20-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog is my buddy (Post 35292)
a.lya,
almost they able sell out those pet, very less chance unable to sell, it getting big, the pet shop owner will said you see i make the pet getting well and healthy. I sell to you same price as puppy. hhaah
They have own way to sell those pet.

I didn't say that they are hard to sell. I was responding to Jimmy's post, if nobody buy, then nobody will sell. {victory}

Coony 03-20-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.lya (Post 35289)

If nobody buy they will just have to stop selling pet then. They are not stupid to keep bringing in pet that can't sell & end up throwing them into the street, coz that is money.

a.lya 03-20-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coony (Post 35304)
If nobody buy they will just have to stop selling pet then. They are not stupid to keep bringing in pet that can't sell & end up throwing them into the street, coz that is money.

Yessss. I agree that nobody buys then they will stop selling. {cry}{cry}

But what happens to the cats that they are currently trying to sell and nobody buys them? If nobody wants to buy them and the seller doesn't want to keep them, where would they go?

Coony 03-20-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.lya (Post 35309)

But what happens to the cats that they are currently trying to sell and nobody buys them? If nobody wants to buy them and the seller doesn't want to keep them, where would they go?

That is for them to worry, not you. I guess they will have to give away free.

daphne1985 03-20-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.lya (Post 35309)

Dont cry A.Lya,

If nobody buy it, they will put for adoption lo...{wink} Then, a kind person like u will able to adopt it lo...Kudos my friend for shelter and rescue those innocents..I will always support u..{good}

Cheers
Daphne

a.lya 03-20-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coony (Post 35312)

I'm worried if they would throw the cats out. {ohmygod} If they can simply make turn an animal into a money-making machine then they wouldn't have much problem of disposing them either.

daphne1985 03-20-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.lya (Post 35324)
I'm worried if they would throw the cats out. {ohmygod} If they can simply make turn an animal into a money-making machine then they wouldn't have much problem of disposing them either.

Okay la...Dont worry too much...If u worry too much, there will be more things for u to worry..okay...

Continue ur good job {good}

{wink}
Cheers
Daphne

baca882004 03-20-2009 04:50 PM

I thoroughly like this forum. And although I have some mis-givings about sale of animals here initially, I have come to accept it.

The owners of this forum is right. If you do not "legalize" it here, they'll still buy puppies and kittens somewhere else. And make poor decisions at that.

You cannot change mentality over-night. But I like that petfinder shows you the Pets for sale but quietly insert pictures of adoptable pets so that you have options. I think that's a good tactic.

And slowly, we come to realize and learn that adopted pets are equally wonderful. Sometimes, you need to keep your enemies close so that you can watch over them. Banning sale of pets is not going to solve the problem.

t.ruth 03-20-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coony (Post 35312)

How true, Coony. if they throw animals, retribution will come upon them. sometimes, we have to be cruel to be kind. some sacrifices (but minimal) must be made.

Ezer 03-20-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baca882004 (Post 35343)
I thoroughly like this forum. And although I have some mis-givings about sale of animals here initially, I have come to accept it.

The owners of this forum is right. If you do not "legalize" it here, they'll still buy puppies and kittens somewhere else. And make poor decisions at that.

You cannot change mentality over-night. But I like that petfinder shows you the Pets for sale but quietly insert pictures of adoptable pets so that you have options. I think that's a good tactic.

And slowly, we come to realize and learn that adopted pets are equally wonderful. Sometimes, you need to keep your enemies close so that you can watch over them. Banning sale of pets is not going to solve the problem.

Exactly, baca... I am glad you're open minded enough to see that progress moves in baby steps...

In fact, perhaps a little off topic...the US congress is now wondering if it's better to just legalize marijuana because of the illegal drug trade going on in the US / Mexico border and thousands of families murdered every year because of that...

khengteik 03-23-2009 09:54 AM

when i said the you guys let go of someone that could be of great help... i didnt mean myself.... read thru the posts for crying out loud....

anyways... like i said again... narrow minded people would never listen/accept other people's criticism... I've stated my case numerous times... yet no one seems to be able to understand me.... breeding for the sake of money.. which is what 99% of breeders in Malaysia do... is getting more and more serious... i have seen and read and researched about breeding.. and i understand that it is not just taking a sire and bitch and let them hit on each other... there are alot of things that needs to be taken into account.... which no one here cares about... and by having a sale thread... more and more people would want to breed because there is a market for it....

if that cant get into anyones thick head... then i really "mai kau jai aw tham arai....."

Maneki Neko 03-23-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khengteik (Post 35485)
i have seen and read and researched about breeding.. and i understand that it is not just taking a sire and bitch and let them hit on each other... there are alot of things that needs to be taken into account.... which no one here cares about... and by having a sale thread... more and more people would want to breed because there is a market for it....

Dear Khengteik,

I believe a majority of Petfinder members agree with you completely that most breeders are ignorant of genetics and focus only on money.

As I think about Ezer's earlier comment about the legalization of marijuana in the US, however, it seems to me that it's not really off-topic at all. Why? There is always going to be traffic in drugs. We can arrest the buyers. We can hang the sellers. The market, though, continues to exist, because some people want the drugs/dogs.

As I think about it, people who are shopping for either pedigreed pets (or marijuana) probably fall into two categories: those who know what they want and are determined to buy it, and those who are curious but perhaps still a bit uncertain.

The first person wants to buy a Rottweiler, because he's always had Rottweilers. He likes the looks and characteristics of that breed. He is never going to be interested in a poodle-cross from the pound. If he comes to Petfinder and sees no Rottweilers for sale, he'll leave immediately and go elsewhere. In this case, whether Petfinder lists pets for sale or not makes no difference -- this person is not going to change his mind. He is going to give business to the pet-breeding industry.

The second person, however, may come to Petfinder looking to buy a Rottweiler, but he is less convinced and determined. Upon arriving at Petfinder, he notices a forum thread about, say, hip dysplasia, animal cruelty at DBKL, or even the ethics of selling pets in a public forum! (He'll really get an eye-full there...{wink}) He reads a few things, and goes to search for Rottweilers for sale. Aha! There's one, for RMbanyak. And just below that ugly price tag, he'll see pictures of other Rotties or Rottie mixes, available for adoption.

This is the person who justifies the Petfinder decision to list animals for sale. Having gotten more information, he may make a different decision. If Petfinder did not list pets for sale, this person might never have come -- he would have searched on mudah.com, or gone to a pet shop, and he would have learned nothing about animal welfare at either place.

Petfinder can not stop the market for sale of pedigreed pets, whether or not it lists pets for sale. By listing pets for sale, though, I don't think Petfinder is encouraging people to buy. If anything, Petfinder is about the best way I know to educate unwitting buyers to either (a) buy from a very reputable breeder or (b) adopt.

You say, "and by having a sale thread... more and more people would want to breed because there is a market for it...." People don't have to come to Petfinder to see that they could make money by breeding pets -- they can get that idea anywhere. If I were thinking of making my fortune by selling pets on Petfinder, though, I would take a look at some of the members' critical comments to sellers and re-think, "Whoa -- it might be less stressful to work in construction!" Petfinder also provides a public forum for people to let sellers know that we CARE about animals and the conditions in which they're kept.

Khengtaik, at the end, I agree with you that much of the pet breeding and selling industry is simply wicked, and I would love to see it improved or ended as much as you would. In the meantime, though, I think Petfinder can provide more information and education by keeping its Sale listings, much as you and I hate to see them.

khengteik 03-23-2009 01:22 PM

Dear Maneki Neko
The moderator and founder has both said their claim... Which i accept but not wholeheartedly.... I'm still going on biting because nothing is said when Dr. Jon suggested that a fee is paid for the breeder to put in their ads of dogs for sale... which is what pp.com is doing...

From the replies to my posts... No one said about looking into the suggestion by Dr. Jon... which is why i feel its abit funny...

Daphne
Yes i can speak Thai.... i have customers and colleagues who are Thai and i was at Thailand for 7 months....

And because of that, i know roughly the price of a certified pedigree dog in Thailand..... which is 2500-5000bhat for a certified GR. And you can get them from pasar malams... non certified GR pups can go as low as 500bhat - 1000bhat... small sized dogs are sold between 250bhat - 1000 bhat... depending to the breed and also the location..... where i was last time... i can get a miniature poodle for free...

FurKids 03-23-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer (Post 35391)
'A loving home for every pet'?

Ezer, a loving home for every "stray" would be so very good ... so that there need not be anymore killing of healthy strays!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashy (Post 35519)
Therefore Bill Clinton is a quack! {wink}

Hahahaa!!! Good one!

Maneki Neko 03-24-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackie007 (Post 35680)
the older generation cannot be taught. just like hygiene. try teaching the older generation that they need to wash their hands after using the toilet, especially if they are going to handle food immediately after the toilet visit. they'll say you have an obsessive compulsive disorder.

Damn it, I just spit coffee all over my screen. (uncontrolled burst of laughter, and very unhygienic, too).

nivek 03-25-2009 08:23 PM

Why should we love purebreds and mutts any differently? At the end of the day both are dogs. The only problem with our society is every time there is a dog gathering etc, everybody will bring their purebreeds with their head held so high that they can kiss the flying crow's backside flying over their head. So for those first timer who goes to one of these gatherings the first impression he/she gets is.."wtf!!!??? all purebreeds! I must get one to stay in the crowd!"

So the breeders will cash in on these "open targets" by supplying or rather over supplying a certain breed which is currently in high demand (remember the shih tzu explosion back then?)

However having said that, there are those breeders who breed to produce the next generation of purebreds that are even better than the last. Careful selection ensures the best quality offsprings one generation after another.

There are many owners out there with a wide variety of "taste", some are attached to a certain breed and there are those that will show no less love for an adopted mutt. For those who are serious about their breed, they would have done a lot of research and background finding on the breeder, the dog itself and its family tree. Of course there are those who buy on impulse and later find that what they have bought have grown too big.

At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with Petfinder having a for sale section as the final decision comes from the person buying/adopting the dog. Petfinder has gone the extra mile to provide an alternative and done a great job at that too which many other sites can only dream of achieving. Kudos to you guys {good}

Finally, next time you go to a dog gathering, bring your mutt instead of the purebreed (I bring my mutt instead of the Rottie) and you will be the person shining as you will stand out from the rest in the most valiant way {good}

P.S : I'm avoiding any roti canai from now on and I'm also an old man by the way {shy}

blackie007 03-25-2009 08:41 PM

i totally agree. for me, it's cats. and i don't see why we should love purebreds and domestics any differently. they are both equally beautiful, and both deserve our equal affection.

so....you're an old man, kevin? err.....may i ask you, do you wash your hands after you use the toilet, or do you think i have an obsessive compulsive disorder?? {shy}{shy}{shy} hehe, sorry, can't resist that. {victory}

p/s: gosh! i didn't know the roti canai story has such a profound effect on you guys. my humble apologies for ruining roti canai for you guys. {shy}{shy}{shy}

Quote:

Originally Posted by nivek (Post 35973)
Why should we love purebreds and mutts any differently? At the end of the day both are dogs. The only problem with our society is every time there is a dog gathering etc, everybody will bring their purebreeds with their head held so high that they can kiss the flying crow's backside flying over their head. So for those first timer who goes to one of these gatherings the first impression he/she gets is.."wtf!!!??? all purebreeds! I must get one to stay in the crowd!"

So the breeders will cash in on these "open targets" by supplying or rather over supplying a certain breed which is currently in high demand (remember the shih tzu explosion back then?)

However having said that, there are those breeders who breed to produce the next generation of purebreds that are even better than the last. Careful selection ensures the best quality offsprings one generation after another.

There are many owners out there with a wide variety of "taste", some are attached to a certain breed and there are those that will show no less love for an adopted mutt. For those who are serious about their breed, they would have done a lot of research and background finding on the breeder, the dog itself and its family tree. Of course there are those who buy on impulse and later find that what they have bought have grown too big.

At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with Petfinder having a for sale section as the final decision comes from the person buying/adopting the dog. Petfinder has gone the extra mile to provide an alternative and done a great job at that too which many other sites can only dream of achieving. Kudos to you guys {good}

Finally, next time you go to a dog gathering, bring your mutt instead of the purebreed (I bring my mutt instead of the Rottie) and you will be the person shining as you will stand out from the rest in the most valiant way {good}

P.S : I'm avoiding any roti canai from now on and I'm also an old man by the way {shy}