PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cat Tail Surgery (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=7174)

aaron.nason 03-31-2013 06:24 PM

Cat Tail Surgery

Hi all

Just wondering is there such a thing as surgery for a crooked cat's tail? Can the tail be straightened? Alternatively what about fixing a stubby cat tail?

nurkasih 03-31-2013 07:06 PM

Re: Cat Tail Surgery

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron.nason (Post 102149)
Hi all

Just wondering is there such a thing as surgery for a crooked cat's tail? Can the tail be straightened? Alternatively what about fixing a stubby cat tail?

Aaron

u better be happy the tail is moving and as it is.. in my rescuing days,unmovable tails equals to no hope for the cat. Why? because the cat tail is attached direct to the main spine. If u messes up with the tail means u are messing with the main backbone that holds the main neuro system for a cat.

my vet will always do the pick and drop tail test. If the tail drops with no movements or reactions from the cat, she will always say 'dun think i need to explain'

So let it be.. it what makes it unique

Maneki Neko 03-31-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nurkasih (Post 102150)
Aaron

u better be happy the tail is moving and as it is.. in my rescuing days,unmovable tails equals to no hope for the cat. Why? because the cat tail is attached direct to the main spine. If u messes up with the tail means u are messing with the main backbone that holds the main neuro system for a cat.

my vet will always do the pick and drop tail test. If the tail drops with no movements or reactions from the cat, she will always say 'dun think i need to explain'

So let it be.. it what makes it unique

Nurkasih, I think you've got it exactly right. Unless the tail is causing the animal pain or problem, enjoy it as one of the cat's unique qualities! To fix it is akin to cosmetic surgery -- it makes you happy, perhaps, but it puts the animal at risk and is of no benefit to anyone. {good}

nurkasih 03-31-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maneki Neko (Post 102151)
Nurkasih, I think you've got it exactly right. Unless the tail is causing the animal pain or problem, enjoy it as one of the cat's unique qualities! To fix it is akin to cosmetic surgery -- it makes you happy, perhaps, but it puts the animal at risk and is of no benefit to anyone. {good}

I learnt it the hard way..

brought a cat attacked by dogs. As dogs will always bite the middle part aka the backbone and shake the cat.. as so for that..the backbone is prone to be broken. vet said no point..i insisted on n xray. And well looking at the xray film..the vet was right..it was broken into 3 actually.. worst of all to put it down.. as per 7 years of dealing with rescued cats.. i still have problems going over putting to sleep situation.

and there it is. Dun mend what is not broken

Maneki Neko 03-31-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nurkasih (Post 102152)
I learnt it the hard way..

brought a cat attacked by dogs. As dogs will always bite the middle part aka the backbone and shake the cat.. as so for that..the backbone is prone to be broken. vet said no point..i insisted on n xray. And well looking at the xray film..the vet was right..it was broken into 3 actually.. worst of all to put it down.. as per 7 years of dealing with rescued cats.. i still have problems going over putting to sleep situation.

and there it is. Dun mend what is not broken

Also, I wonder if Aaron, the original poster, is asking about "fixing" a cat's tail that is crooked as a result of injury, or is kinked naturally (ekor kontot).

I have two cats. One has a long, straight tail, and the other a kinky, bobbed tail resembling a furry paperclip. I read once that the cat uses its tail to balance during leaps. Really? My long-tailed cat misses her target, breaks glasses, knocks things over and generally wreaks havoc whenever she jumps from one place to another. The cat with the short, kinked tail has never broken anything, always landing most gracefully.

Especially if you are considering this for cosmetic reasons, Aaron, please re-think!

aaron.nason 04-02-2013 05:05 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. It made a lot of sense. I always thought it was a cosmetic thing but didn't realize how much it can affect the cat!