PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=1904)

FurKids 03-19-2009 04:21 PM

Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne1985 (Post 35082)
Furkids,

Do u find something different of us, u are here to find out ppl problems but I'm there to help ppl to solve their problems. We are totally different, I noe that u are very very TOP LEVEL..thats why asking u if a top level willing to give any hand? Like a I'm asking charity from u only.... what have u read???..i guess u misunderstand me. I never say they are so perfect and I'm so wow or proud of them or what. What I mean is I noe, u noe , everyone even SPCA they noe, the " problem" so let us play our role to help and try to see if we can solve or not..u never try u never noe..do u get what I mean...???{oh}

Dont keep scolding me before understand what I write, u are trying to discriminate me, my language and my position level, u never even noe what my position is. I'm not as Top level as u nor lower rank staff too

Fine, if u dont want..is okay...I never force u...

Wow, Daphne, if this is the same way you communicate with Segar Clinic I am not surprised you had big problems with them. In life, it is very, very important to have good communication skills, to really understand what is really being communicated in order to reply appropriately. Really, my friend ... peace! I will not reply anymore to you ... too high risk of being misunderstood ... bye-bye and all the best!

FurKids 03-19-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreay (Post 35087)
To....Oh My Goodness,GUD GREAT SPEAKING ENGLISH HUMAN Furkid~{happy}

Wow....ya lor hor,ur english damnnnnnnn Cantik neh until wana condamn ppl at here...i tink u were stil tinking u r in skul huh?
Wana compare wif ppl....aiyo...*clap clap clap slap*
Shud every international school gv u an award....wasted ler...
I tink u hv te potential2b an English Teacher.....
Mayb in te subject cal *i tink im te profesional in eng,keep on dreaming*
or mayb *im orang english*...which title u1?{good}

Look....i dun tink u r well educated enuf eventhough ur ENGLISH SO BANYAK BAGUS....
if u r well educated,u wouldnt argue wif Daphne n look down on ppl..
Ur teacher din teach u1meh?dun look down on ppl...
Or i shud teach u a new ENGLISH WORD?
"do not critises other ppl"
Repeat after me "do not critise other ppl"
Learn ady?gud...now...
Go show off la,tat u learn a new language today...
Go go go.......{oh}
Dun nid2thank me...cnt accept it{grin}
English Teacher wana thank me4learning frm me....{madore}

dreay, I will not be drawn into your lure .... {victory}

daphne1985 03-19-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FurKids (Post 35089)
Wow, Daphne, if this is the same way you communicate with Segar Clinic I am not surprised you had big problems with them. In life, it is very, very important to have good communication skills, to really understand what is really being communicated in order to reply appropriately. Really, my friend ... peace! I will not reply anymore to you ... too high risk of being misunderstood ... bye-bye and all the best!

{nah}{nah}{nah}try to pint pont ppl problem is ur expert.. Dont try to relate to Segar, okay..nothing related here...

dreay 03-19-2009 04:59 PM

Furkids....

Aiyo~ok nah ok nah...dun go cry....{cry}dun cry dun cry...
Daphne n everyone tat u hv critises wil forgive u...
Dun cry ady..enuf..dun cry....
V r not brainless n rude ppl lk u...dun cry~~~
Awww~cheer up,ang mo kid...
Although u r a mean person v stil wouldnt wan u2cry....
I never c a big bully cry b4~til nw~

t.ruth 03-19-2009 05:10 PM

Hi Everyone

please do not keep saying that spca has no $$$$$. if the truth can ever be told and it will, i don't wish to have u eat your words.

wait, wait wait! yours truly is very, very busy now. got to look after 200 rescued animals (plse don't try to find out where we keep them 'cos u'll never know. for their safety,we move them around all the time). then, we got to run a petshop to try to make enough to feed them the best and got told that we are 'out of our mind' to feed rescued animals food like orijen by orijen salesperson. then, we got to teach to supplement the insufficient funds from the petshop. then, too, we got to help people catch stray animals and other rescuers. these are reasons that make us angry with spca, paws.

why are we not turning to all these supposedly animal welfare organisations? i've tried taking small kittens to spca before and the first word the person uttered when she saw the small fella is pd (certainly not port dickson!). why? for the stupid reason that the fella needed to be fed every few hours and they don't have the manpower to do it. we save, save, save. spca, paws - pd, pd, pd.(certainly not short form for PAID) rescuers don't wish to send rescued animals to spca and paws knowing that it's a death sentence and possibly, hell on earth.

$$$ to feed these rescued animals comes from our pockets. sometimes, we have to live from hand to mouth ourselves but we cannot compromise the animal welfare. spca gets the funds (big fat ones!) and what do they do with it? euthanasia chemicals......wait to read more (ur ears will burn - not from the chemicals). it's big bullshit to say that spca has not enough funds. it's never enough. fundraising after fundraising, sponsors after sponsors, jumble sales, calendar sales, what else....u name it and in the name of money it's been done?

JUST IN MY AREA ALONE, DO U KNOW HOW MANY PRIVATE RESCUERS THERE ARE WHO GET HOUNDED BY NEIGHBOURS, THREATS, COMPLAINTS TO AUTHORITIES AND WHAT NOTS? Come visit us if u want to see the true situation.

furkids,

thanks for the kind words. very honestly, i'm a very reluctant rescuer but my greatest failing is that i can't stand to see suffering among animals and children. that is why, i keep rescuing and will keep on doing so. the only unpleasant thing in this 'business of rescuing' is to see other people getting the funds while we (private rescuers) have to struggle to make ends meet. but one thing is for sure, i believe in retribution. those who use money meant for animals for other purposes will get their 'reward' in due time. maybe, may have to use money for their own medical bills or their loved ones. i'm absolutely sure that i'm not the only one feeling the pinch.

BTW, does anyone know or has heard anything about a lawsuit between spca and an independent rescuer? of course, it's about money (what else, with spca?) very, very interested to hear the details. if anyone knows, please fill us in, otherwise...have to wait.

of course, i can go on and on bitching about spca but the pen is mightier than the sword. let's wait.

AndyKoh 03-19-2009 05:14 PM

Guys,

Let's not get personal on this issue, ok? You're free to express your own viewpoints, but do not downgrade the discussion into any personal insults or sarcasm.

Each of you have your own valid points, and will probably never fully agree with the other. Even if you disagree, do not belittle the other person or the suggestions as that would only result in retaliation. Just politely disagree and tell your points.

So, let's move back on to the actual discussion.

June 03-19-2009 05:18 PM

Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Way u go bro !!!!{good}

Quote:

Originally Posted by FurKids (Post 35090)
dreay, I will not be drawn into your lure .... {victory}

daphne1985 03-19-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKoh (Post 35108)
Guys,

Let's not get personal on this issue, ok? You're free to express your own viewpoints, but do not downgrade the discussion into any personal insults or sarcasm.

Each of you have your own valid points, and will probably never fully agree with the other. Even if you disagree, do not belittle the other person or the suggestions as that would only result in retaliation. Just politely disagree and tell your points.

So, let's move back on to the actual discussion.

ya Andy, I agree..

I'm just first time here would like to volunteer to those innocent but who noe there are ppl still "ANTI" it. I do volunteer is not only for SPCA but is for all the animals that are innocent..

Thanks Andy {good}

blackie007 03-19-2009 05:25 PM

ruth,
i don't think the issue here is pro-spca or anti-spca. but i can see there are some high emotions where spca is concerned.

and ruth, i have personally experienced what u have experienced below. and i was very, very angry & dis-illusioned, too, when i found out that the helpless young kittens that i had rescued from garbage dumps, cleaned off the fire-ants from their bodies were put to sleep because they required feeding every 2 hours.

but i think our energy & emotion is better reserved for doing what we can, in whatever manner we can (be it time or money), to the best of our ability, to help these strays instead of using it up to bash spca, for i believe that if each of us were to do our own little part, it does make a world of difference to these animals. {victory}{victory}

and i know of one particular individual animal rescuer out there who even wanted to sell her bungalow in titiwangsa (don't know if it's sold yet) so that she could have more disposable cash to help these strays. she is a great lady!

Quote:

Originally Posted by t.ruth (Post 35106)
why are we not turning to all these supposedly animal welfare organisations? i've tried taking small kittens to spca before and the first word the person uttered when she saw the small fella is pd (certainly not port dickson!). why? for the stupid reason that the fella needed to be fed every few hours and they don't have the manpower to do it. we save, save, save. spca, paws - pd, pd, pd.(certainly not short form for PAID) rescuers don't wish to send rescued animals to spca and paws knowing that it's a death sentence and possibly, hell on earth.

khengteik 03-19-2009 06:56 PM

Dear All,

Let me just interrupt everyone here with some of what i think....

Before going on further.. Let me just introduce myself.... I'm just a pain in the ass for most people because i tend to be very very straight and blunt with my postings... Let it be here or pp.com.. I'm in my late 20's and I'm neither in the top management level nor am i considered the technicians... My knowledge in technical issues sometimes scares the shit out of me... And my knowledge in animal related items are so-so...

Now back to what I wanted to say....

Furkids I've actually brought out not only SPCA HK but also many other SPCA's works in pp.com... And guess what... SPCA actually sent me an email to let me know and also reason with me.. However, like you and a few other forummers here, I do not agree with quite alot of things that was brought to my attention.. However, I choose to keep my big mouth shut about it... Until now.. I was quite fortunate to be able to come across some videoclips in Youtube regarding NANAS in Johor... And the one and only question that keeps playing in my mind is... Why can NENAS do it but not SPCA???

I was thought by my colleagues from Europe that Logic is the easiest way to solve a problem.... and by using logic... I cannot understand why SPCA do not think using Logic.... Everyone here will ask me why am I so hostile towards SPCA and not PAWS or other NGO's... My answer is simple...

SPCA = Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Their job is to think of ways to prevent cruelty to animals for gd dmn mthfking goodness sake... Don't give all the Bullshit and crap... Their new website is up for a month or so already.. But almost everywhere i click... It is still under construction or with all sorts of excuses.

Points that i have used to state my case of hostility towards SPCA.
1. As i have pointed out above, SPCA literally means Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
2. EDUCATION should not be restricted to only the younger generation. EVERYONE should be included in their forums or seminars... ESPECIALLY NON ANIMAL LOVERS!
3. Every single cent paid to SPCA can be Tax EXEMPTED. Unless SPCA would defer it.
4. I have NEVER seen anything in the media or forums about Awareness campaigns by SPCA. All i see and hear is dog adoption program and sale~sale~sale this sale that sale...
5. All talk but no action... Send a petition... Then sit sit and sit...

These 5 points are thought of carefully by myself... And to elaborate why i have thought of these 5 items...

Point #1
EVERYWHERE is the same... Let it be in Asia or in the West... Do you think that the great wall of China was built in a day?? or Rome? or even the ancient Piramids? Everything needs time... But should no one take the initiative to start it... Nothing will ever happen... Since there are a group of people that has adopted the organization SPCA, then they are the ones that should do it... If not, why use SPCA? Ask the SPCA in US or Europe or any other countries, is it easy for them during their starting stages? None will dare to say it it easy.. It is so because there are not only alot of red-tape, but they will also face the problems of having politicians that are not animal lovers... For me, if you want to be SPCA, then live up its name... Dont just use it because it is glamorous...

Point #2
I have mentioned many many and countless times.... EDUCATION or Awareness Campaigns should not be done for animal lovers or youngsters only... The main target should be non-animal lovers and also parents... Why teach a child not to kick a dog when the parents does that? Or why teach the youngsters to be compassionate and in the end of the day, when they use their pocket money to buy food for strays, their parents say that they are stupid and wasting money? Think think and think again... who should we educate?

Point #3
As far as i understand, money paid to schools, Institute of higher learning, and any welfare bodies can be tax exempted. This is a fact... Therefore, if effort was put in by the people to go round explaining about it to big companies and organizations where they pay hundreds of thousands of ringgit for tax, I am sure some of them would understand that instead of paying tax, they can use the money to help other beings...

Point #4
I am looking it from the point of view from a non animal lover... How would i know the existence of SPCA and what they do when nothing is made known to the public? As i have pointed in Point #3, they can go to the mass media and not only does SPCA do not need to pay for any advertisement, I'm sure the mass media would gain by doing the advertisement and in the end of the day, get tax redemption.

Point #5
If it needs such long of a time to lobby for a petition... do something about it... If I'm not mistaken, there are alot of educated and top managerial people who are in SPCA... Dont tell me they cannot think?

Seriously, anyone can say what they want about how i feel towards SPCA... But until the time comes when SPCA has gained my trust... I would say my feelings of hostility will never cease.

I rest my case.

t.ruth 03-19-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne1985 (Post 34908)

I feel sad after interview her, in fact we should not blame on them but us. I as a Malaysian, I feel shame. There are not much ppl like SPCA or PAW that willing to drive their van everywhere to rescue those stray dogs and cats from street and forester them.
1. Are u willing to do so?
2. Are u able to forester or rescue them even they are sick or injured?
3. If u have a bigest space and after u rescue them, u found that ur space are full and again u found more stray dogs and cats that need help, what will u do? Yet, u do facing some financial problem. How are u going to handle them?

Cheers
Daphne{wink}

Hi Daphne

The highlighted statement - are u saying that our spca and paws do that? very frankly, it's a bit far-fetched. do u mean that u hope they will do that? no offence meant. as far as i know, from my customers, spca 'fai si' entertain calls when they call to make complaints about stray animals, let alone do what u say. 'easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye' than for spca and paws to do what u said.

t.ruth 03-19-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreay (Post 34913)
{ohmygod}
Yes.....If u nvr c it wif ur own eyes...u'll never now hw sad it was....
Well~i've experience it b4...it was bak in 2 or 3 years i tink~
As my family drove pass SPCA i ask thm whether cn i go thr anot~
So,my dad went thr after listening to my mumbling{victory}

Wen we walk ard...2my suprise...i saw a beautiful shih tzu lying thr in a smal cage...jz thn i realise she was half blind..
Te worker frm SPCA say tat thy were gona pt her2slep on tat day...
Jz thn te worker pointe2a girl in her 20's..
she was carrying 2adorable pups in her hands..
"tats her owner" said te worker...
My eyes widen in horror..
Hw cn she do tat???thy were abt2pt tat poor dogs2slep!
N thy u r standing thr lk an idiot as if is non of ur business!
My parents cn c hw sad te shih tzu has on her face~
N v decide2hav her...eventhough she's half blind n she's reli old..
V din mind....

Im reli sad tat hw mean human cn b nowadays...its reli horrible...
Thou2sum ppl thy r jz animals,bt thy hv life n feelings2....
Hw wud u feel if u were in tat poor dog plc??
I believe myself...sumtimes humans r much more worst n te1who is acting lk animal...

Is ok,if u wana breed te dog...keep te pup n so does te mum...
Love thm~{mcry}

agree 100% with you except your last line. i wud say dont breed at all.

t.ruth 03-19-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furkids (Post 35015)
daphne

hehe, i agree u to ask this question to them, maybe they will provide answer to u..

i don't need to waste my time and energy to ask our local spca just to hear the outdated answer that sf, hk (and many others) spcas gave dulu-dulu tahun nenek moyang in order to justify why they were killing off healthy strays at their shelters - not enough space and $$.

... And killed all the healthy strays year in and year out, as fast as they could, they found that they still could not keep up with the reproduction rate ...

... And the hk spca (and others) came up with this:

"at the spca, we strongly believe that all feral cats deserve our compassion and protection, and that there are humane, effective ways to control their populations. We support the efforts of compassionate caregivers who are working hard to make life better for feral cats. Many people in our city complain about these cats, but simply killing them is not the answer to reducing their numbers. In recognising this, we have introduced an animal birth control programme, the hkspca cat colony care programme to provide free spay/neuter surgery for our ferals."

--------------------------
do spca in malaysia have enough financial/ volunteer from vet in provide the free spay/neuter surgery?

no, if you just sit around doing nothing but with a face full of self-pity ... And donations will stop coming in if donors see you doing nothing concrete and effective but just complain no volunteers, staff, etc but hundreds of independent pet rescuers (iprs) - many are in fact ex-spca staff - are running around doing good work animal rescue work independent of spca (that tells a lot about spca) and donors are smart enough to put their hard-earned $$ into the accounts of these deserving self-sacrificing iprs.

Ask yourself why donors no longer want to contribute to you instead and ask what initiatives (like the ones your counterparts in other parts of the world are diligently doing ... Minus the jumble sales, and other tame stuffs ...)

---------------------------------------------

is anyone support the dedicated amy of volunteers for our spca malaysia to have this tnr effort?how many of volunteer they have in our penang spca do u noe? How many ppl willing to give this help?

this is what hk spca said they anticipated and did ... Not just sit and complain ... A true leader will attract plenty of followers (read as volunteers and donors), a bad leader will sit back and complain that people ignore and do not follow him!

"through this humane programme via both education of the community and action to improve the welfare of the street cats and decrease their numbers, people should be more able to accept the cats place in the community".

At the spca, we strongly believe that all feral cats deserve our compassion and protection, and that there are humane, effective ways to control their populations. We support the efforts of compassionate caregivers who are working hard to make life better for feral cats. Many people in our city complain about these cats, but simply killing them is not the answer to reducing their numbers. In recognising this, we have introduced an animal birth control programme, the hkspca cat colony care programme to provide free spay/neuter surgery for our ferals.

nz spca acknowledges things they have to do and issues they have to address and has this to say ... They also do not just sit down and complain:

"all of this huge veterinary expense is covered by the colony carer, who has to fund raise or spend their own money. Contrary to some beliefs, most stray cat carers are not little old women who have nothing better to do!! All of the colony carers i know are dedicated, responsible (and far from old) people, who do this in their spare time...because they care! They go out in all weathers feeding and trapping and care very much about each cat in the colony.

We do hear of a few people who feed cats, without realising that they should have the cats de-sexed, so they continue to multiply, but this is where education comes in and other colony carers offering support and advice. There are also some examples of cat hoarding occurring, but this is a different thing altogether and to be discouraged. The latter has nothing to do with well managed stray cat colony care!

In some countries e.g. Rome, stray cats are helped far more and the colony carers are given training, support and status for their work. This is also on going in the usa and they have some great organisations involved in caring for stray cats and disseminating education.

On our website, you can read more about some of the people involved with the 'managed' stray cat colonies* found throughout new zealand. I think that it is very important for the general public to understand why people are caring for these cats, that they are just ordinary felines and why extermination is not the way to control them! .

Complete colony extermination is downright short sighted, because when a colony is totally removed from an area, another cat group will just move in to take over the space and the problem continues. However, having a neutered and 'cared for' group maintained in one area, deters groups of other cats from moving in (although individuals may join a group at times) and also keeps unwanted 'vermin' at bay e.g. Rats. "

----------------------------
do spca malaysia have this society's vet to provide free medical treatment? Any of our vet willing to give free? Any of our professional vet have the heart toward animal as hong kong or even san francisco? Are we cooperate enough for the tnr to run succesful even in malaysia?

reply is same as above ... Provide the leadership and the followers will emerge like ants. Respect doesn't come free, it needs to be earned.

well said! Well said!

t.ruth 03-19-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackie007 (Post 35114)
ruth,
i don't think the issue here is pro-spca or anti-spca. but i can see there are some high emotions where spca is concerned.

and ruth, i have personally experienced what u have experienced below. and i was very, very angry & dis-illusioned, too, when i found out that the helpless young kittens that i had rescued from garbage dumps, cleaned off the fire-ants from their bodies were put to sleep because they required feeding every 2 hours.

but i think our energy & emotion is better reserved for doing what we can, in whatever manner we can (be it time or money), to the best of our ability, to help these strays instead of using it up to bash spca, for i believe that if each of us were to do our own little part, it does make a world of difference to these animals. {victory}{victory}

and i know of one particular individual animal rescuer out there who even wanted to sell her bungalow in titiwangsa (don't know if it's sold yet) so that she could have more disposable cash to help these strays. she is a great lady!

hi blackie007

i'm a very versatile person...'bashing' spca and rescuing animals both i can do without compromising on quality.{grin}

may i correct you, don't mean to sound arrogant, but i'm not anti-spca. if spca is doing their what the society is set up to do, then the animal situation shouldn't worsen. but the truth of the matter is things are getting from bad to worse. take the recent dbkl cruelty case. should it have happened? spca is in the midst of it all and the spca rep. there dare to deny knowledge of it. isn't that ridiculous? furkids is right.

i may seem to be anti-spca - but why? if spca is doing what it's supposed to do, does the lady in titiwangsa need to sell her bungalow? i know of someone who uses FD of rm30,000 for the strays. should that be necessary? there shouldn't be so many private rescuers (using their own money) if spca is effective. on the other hand, spca is collecting so much funds, for what???? there should be accountability to the public as the funds used are public funds.

to me, it appears that spca is redundant. other people are doing their jobs (financed by own pockets) but spca only acts as 'fundraisers'. if spca ceased to exist, i'm sure no one is affected at all - not rescue work, for sure. the only obvious effect is sponsors get to save their money and maybe put it to better use.

whoever thinks that i'm out to bash spca right and left, please let me tell u that should spca show that animal welfare is their no. 1 concern, not NATO, then i'll definitely queue up to support them. maybe with the present people running spca, it's difficult. maybe, too, someone can tell me how often the committee changes. is it like some organisations - same old faces, year in year out; same old selfish policies, year in year out?

anyway, i know it's pointless writing further abt issues like this in a forum, it's sure to be misconstrued......so i prefer my blog where i can honestly empty my thoughts.

kudos to Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better and Wani and IPR and most of all to all noble self-financing rescuers who do it from the heart for the animals and not for self-glorification and publicity (except me who does it because of my great failing).

blackie007 03-20-2009 12:13 AM

ruth, i'm not offended, not to worry. we are just sharing opinions and discussions, it's nothing personal, right? unless u want to make it personal.

i am pretty ambivalent about spca and am not blind to their faults. but it doesn't help to bash them up like this, because their funds will decline.

when that happens, what spca is going to do, and pretty good at, is to KILL EVEN MORE animals in there.

let's say, hypothetically, they kill 10 animals a day. now, when funds decline, they're going to up the ante and might even kill 100 animals a day. is the number far-fetched? we'll never know until funds decline. and it is for this reason, i keep saying it doesn't solve the problem by continuously bashing spca.

instead, if anyone feels so strongly about spca's apathy, then he/she should do something concrete to turn things around. i believe in if there's a will there's a way.

becos i really don't see what all this bashing will lead to other than spca becoming more unpopular and the animals in the shelter suffering as a result of this.

again, let me repeat, i am not promoting spca. my ONLY CONCERN is what would happen to the existing animals in spca's care if the public shuns them and their funds decline.

let's imagine for a second that spca ceases to exist:-

1) what will happen to the existing animals? how many can be fostered by the rescuers? they are already asking for help for those dogs that they rescued from the dbkl dog pound.

2) where will the irresponsible owners take their pets to when they no longer want them? i think it's safe to say they'll just throw them out onto the streets.

for me, i think it'll be a lot worse if spca fails to exist, much as i abhor their kill policy. in case you're not aware, i've always taken the stand that all animals have a right to live alongside us, even on the streets. i am vehemently against the notion that they should be killed for whatever reason, unless they are in agonising pain and there is no cure in sight. {victory}

as for the lady who's selling her bungalow in titiwangsa to support the strays, she is actually helping spca in a way. she fosters the animals from spca to stop them from being killed due to space constraints. and she wants to do even more. this is why she wanted to sell her bungalow, and she is happy and willing to do that. she is a great lady that we can all emulate.

and there are about 10 dogs that she passed on to one of my hubby's cousin to keep in her house. spca gave my hubby's cousin a letter to say that those dogs are spca's and she's fostering them on their behalf until homes could be found for them. this letter comes in useful during raids by MPPJ, which has happened before as the dogs are noisy and the neighbours have lodged complaints with the MPPJ.

every month, spca gave my hubby's cousin dog food to feed the dogs, and they built an "igloo" in her garden for the dogs to play with, with their funds because my hubby's cousin is like me, a housewife without income.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t.ruth (Post 35161)
hi blackie007

i'm a very versatile person...'bashing' spca and rescuing animals both i can do without compromising on quality.{grin}

may i correct you, don't mean to sound arrogant, but i'm not anti-spca. if spca is doing their what the society is set up to do, then the animal situation shouldn't worsen. but the truth of the matter is things are getting from bad to worse. take the recent dbkl cruelty case. should it have happened? spca is in the midst of it all and the spca rep. there dare to deny knowledge of it. isn't that ridiculous? furkids is right.

i may seem to be anti-spca - but why? if spca is doing what it's supposed to do, does the lady in titiwangsa need to sell her bungalow? i know of someone who uses FD of rm30,000 for the strays. should that be necessary? there shouldn't be so many private rescuers (using their own money) if spca is effective. on the other hand, spca is collecting so much funds, for what???? there should be accountability to the public as the funds used are public funds.

to me, it appears that spca is redundant. other people are doing their jobs (financed by own pockets) but spca only acts as 'fundraisers'. if spca ceased to exist, i'm sure no one is affected at all - not rescue work, for sure. the only obvious effect is sponsors get to save their money and maybe put it to better use.

whoever thinks that i'm out to bash spca right and left, please let me tell u that should spca show that animal welfare is their no. 1 concern, not NATO, then i'll definitely queue up to support them. maybe with the present people running spca, it's difficult. maybe, too, someone can tell me how often the committee changes. is it like some organisations - same old faces, year in year out; same old selfish policies, year in year out?

anyway, i know it's pointless writing further abt issues like this in a forum, it's sure to be misconstrued......so i prefer my blog where i can honestly empty my thoughts.

kudos to Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better and Wani and IPR and most of all to all noble self-financing rescuers who do it from the heart for the animals and not for self-glorification and publicity (except me who does it because of my great failing).

kimimaro84 03-20-2009 12:56 AM

OMG i been reading this since afternoon, i cant believe u ppl are still talking n talking n talking n still arguing here n there pointing fingers across the globe comparing here n there, typing a whole hundreds of patah perkataan like SPM/Final year project karangan and final report...this can go on n on like a hot headed makcik n another hot headed uncle yadda yadda yadda 4 eternity...i wonder what u ppl try to point out to what faults u trying to find? {scared}

wat have u done so far to fix the current situation? good if u have done something but if u have done nothing y type so much? {scared}

its up to u want to do it or not or want to help or not? If dowan do or help dont do la, why crap so much? what are u trying to tell ppl?{ohmygod}

For me if u wan help, juz help from the bottom of ur heart, honestly, dats all no need elaborate to each other what is right n wrong. i mean if u juz do a tiny bit, at least it came honestly from u rite?u tried ur best, no such thing as i wasted my time la, they are not worth to be help la wat la n so on{happy}

what u wanna help? u wanna help SPCA/Paw/anything related or u wanna help/teman/play the animals while waiting to be adopted/put to sleep? Its seriously up to u which part/role u wanna play{happy}

{good}It depends what u believe in and what u fight for{good}

dog is my buddy 03-20-2009 01:32 AM

What do you think about forumer here?
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimimaro84 (Post 35170)
OMG i been reading this since afternoon, i cant believe u ppl are still talking n talking n talking n still arguing here n there pointing fingers across the globe comparing here n there, typing a whole hundreds of patah perkataan like SPM/Final year project karangan and final report...this can go on n on like a hot headed makcik n another hot headed uncle yadda yadda yadda 4 eternity...i wonder what u ppl try to point out to what faults u trying to find? {scared}

wat have u done so far to fix the current situation? good if u have done something but if u have done nothing y type so much? {scared}

its up to u want to do it or not or want to help or not? If dowan do or help dont do la, why crap so much? what are u trying to tell ppl?{ohmygod}

For me if u wan help, juz help from the bottom of ur heart, honestly, dats all no need elaborate to each other what is right n wrong. i mean if u juz do a tiny bit, at least it came honestly from u rite?u tried ur best, no such thing as i wasted my time la, they are not worth to be help la wat la n so on{happy}

what u wanna help? u wanna help SPCA/Paw/anything related or u wanna help/teman/play the animals while waiting to be adopted/put to sleep? Its seriously up to u which part/role u wanna play{happy}

{good}It depends what u believe in and what u fight for{good}

AndyKoh 03-20-2009 02:18 AM

Guys,

You have voiced your opinions on SPCA, and they have been heard by the rest of us. But, it now appears to be going well overboard and I see some people getting overly emotional with strong sentences attacking SPCA.

It is always easy for you to criticize someone or some organization. Just like everyone who loves to complain about their jobs and bosses. BUT, put yourself into your boss' shoes, and you will see a whole different picture. There are many opposing forces, competing priorities, legal restraints and dozens of other issues to be considered when actions are to be taken, and red tape is bound to arise in organizations.

I agree that there is definitely room for improvement in SPCA, just like any organization. However, I definitely do not agree with claims that SPCA is of no purpose at all. There is no denying of SPCA's contribution to the animals and our community - whether it is on rescuing animals, rehoming them, or educating people. If you claim that they are not doing any of these, then you are likely so strongly prejudiced against them that you are selecting NOT to read/remember/recall the things that they have achieved. I am not saying that they are at their maximum efficiency, but there is still a lot achieved. I know of a friend who emailed SPCA to report a pack of stray puppies discovered at a vacant house, and within 1 hour, received a call from SPCA for more information, and hours later, they have sent their van over to pick the puppies up. You might be able to give negative examples, but so can others give positive ones.

Let's face it, there are thousands of strays everywhere and lots of calls for help, requests to surrender pets, investigations into abuse cases etc - do you think SPCA can efficiently respond to every single request and handle each case to your satisfaction? We are not even satisfied with the customer service of large corporations with hundreds of support staff, so there is an extent to how much SPCA can do with their limited resources.

Both SPCA and Independent pet rescuers are absolutely crucial, because there are never enough resources for any party to single-handedly resolve the issues. In fact, all these parties should be working hand-in-hand with the same mission and helping each other to improve, instead of pointing fingers at others' faults and belittling them.

What some of you are doing here is merely instilling dissatisfaction and hatred of SPCA among others, which I consider unacceptable. If this society fails to function properly, it is the animals that are going to suffer like what Blackie said, and the animal rescue, fostering, education, lobbying scenes would become even more chaotic.

I want to emphasize this - give constructive criticisms, but do not criticize and belittle others just for the sake of creating a tense atmosphere, making yourself heard or whatever personal agenda. Always think of the consequences and the big picture, put yourself into their shoes, and if you genuinely think you can do better, then by all means, join their organization and make the improvements instead of giving empty criticisms.

lynielime 03-20-2009 08:59 AM

well said andy {good}

by the way people, spca is desperately in need of fosterers. if you want them to reduce the number of animals euthanized one way to ensure this is to head over to the shelter right now and pick up some kittens and puppies for fostering. these young ones need to be fostered OUTSIDE the shelter as they are very young and their immune systems very weak. they will not last there. please go and pick up an animal to foster today. fostering saves the lives of many and spca does not have nearly enough fosterers.

thanks!!

nivek 03-20-2009 09:01 AM

SPCA runs on public donations. For those who feels that SPCA is not doing the right thing, try setting up an animal shelter with 0 funds. Let's simulate this scenario :

1) You have 30 kennels to shelter strays or pets brought in (because you do not have money to build more or even the land space)
2) You only have 2 staff to run the centre (because you do not have money to hire more)
3) You can only give food which has been donated by the public or buy cheap kibbles and not those super premium ones because you need to feed the dogs at least twice a day (this is 30 dogs we are talking about)
4) You want to spay everything which comes through your door but each spaying cost RM150 each (estimated)
5) You receive 600 dogs a month while you get 10 adoptions a month
6) You try to sell all the items donated by the public hoping to generate some cash to buy essentials
7) You need to feed medication, vaccination etc etc to those healthy dogs before they are homed (all this costs money)
8) You open your shelter to the public 6 days a week but hardly anyone walks in because everybody wants "Pedigree!" and your dogs looks normal
9) You ponder whether you can still survive another week with the RM200 you have left to run the shelter. Hopefully some kind souls will come this week to donate.

Now do the maths and add up all the costs. If you can do better on 0 funds, by all means start a shelter and stop criticising what others are doing. Volunteers to the SPCA sacrifice their time and energy with 0 pay to help out in whatever way they can. They don't print money. They have their own families to feed but every little contribution goes a long way.

If you seriously want to help, start donating either time or money and adopt pets from SPCA. This will provide them with funds to continue doing their wonderful job. FYI my whole family happily visit the SPCA on weekends to play with the dogs and we make our monthly donations to help the facility.

So there, I've said my 2 cents worth. Peace.