PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   Cats & Kittens (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Introducing new kitten to home. (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=5019)

sphinxlover 11-03-2010 08:59 PM

Introducing new kitten to home.

I'm adopting a 6 month old kitten soon. Any advice on how to get him settled to the new home and the cats in my home? I have a 7 month old kitten and a 1 year old cat. Thanks if you could help and trolls please get off my thread. Post if you know only. Thanks k bye.{happy}

Maneki Neko 11-03-2010 09:48 PM

Re: Introducing new kitten to home.

Hi, Sphinxlover --

First of all, I'm glad to read in your other post that Hazel is well again.

As for introducing a new kitten, check this out:

http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...ight=introduce

I can share this from my own recent experience: My first cat is extremely territorial, and I'd always resigned myself that she would have to be the only cat in the house. I adopted my 2nd cat about 2 months ago. I followed the advice above to the letter, with lots of encouragement and support from PF members who had also gone through the process. I got discouraged and impatient, but in my case, after 10 days, I was able to release the two cats into the apartment under supervision, and a couple of days after that, leave them unattended. Now they sleep on the same bed, groom each other, etc. Phew!

I'm sure that if I had just tossed the 2 cats together and let them figure it out, it would have ended disastrously. Separate rooms and a lot of patience is definitely the way to go. Good luck! {good}

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinxlover (Post 90622)
I'm adopting a 6 month old kitten soon. Any advice on how to get him settled to the new home and the cats in my home? I have a 7 month old kitten and a 1 year old cat. Thanks if you could help and trolls please get off my thread. Post if you know only. Thanks k bye.{happy}

sphinxlover 11-03-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maneki Neko (Post 90626)
Hi, Sphinxlover --

First of all, I'm glad to read in your other post that Hazel is well again.

As for introducing a new kitten, check this out:

http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...ight=introduce

I can share this from my own recent experience: My first cat is extremely territorial, and I'd always resigned myself that she would have to be the only cat in the house. I adopted my 2nd cat about 2 months ago. I followed the advice above to the letter, with lots of encouragement and support from PF members who had also gone through the process. I got discouraged and impatient, but in my case, after 10 days, I was able to release the two cats into the apartment under supervision, and a couple of days after that, leave them unattended. Now they sleep on the same bed, groom each other, etc. Phew!

I'm sure that if I had just tossed the 2 cats together and let them figure it out, it would have ended disastrously. Separate rooms and a lot of patience is definitely the way to go. Good luck! {good}

Thanks im moving to a new house soon too, and one more question, you think I should take the kitten before or after i move, i know it can be stressful for cats when we move and takes them a while to get settled. Will it make it easier if i adopt him before when the cats are not stressed out from the move?? And where did you find the thread link you gave me. I looked in the cats forums but didn't really give me what i wanted. Thanks for the link soo imformative!

blackie007 11-04-2010 10:45 AM

How soon is soon?

The thread is in the Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption, General Discussion's sub-forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinxlover (Post 90628)
Thanks im moving to a new house soon too, and one more question, you think I should take the kitten before or after i move, i know it can be stressful for cats when we move and takes them a while to get settled. Will it make it easier if i adopt him before when the cats are not stressed out from the move?? And where did you find the thread link you gave me. I looked in the cats forums but didn't really give me what i wanted. Thanks for the link soo imformative!

sphinxlover 11-04-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackie007 (Post 90633)
How soon is soon?

The thread is in the Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption, General Discussion's sub-forum.

okay thanks

shahcats 11-04-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinxlover (Post 90628)

hye..i think better u move to the house 1st..let every down settle down.cuz ur cat will stress out to the new environment..dont make it worse..
good luck for the new cuttie pie..:D

sphinxlover 11-04-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahcats (Post 90650)
hye..i think better u move to the house 1st..let every down settle down.cuz ur cat will stress out to the new environment..dont make it worse..
good luck for the new cuttie pie..:D

ah okay im moving in december so i'll wait till my cats get settled first then. Thanks shahcats{victory}.