PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   Small Mammals - Furry & Cute (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   HELP! I think my guinea pigs got mites. (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=6946)

Fyfyn 11-20-2012 03:37 PM

HELP! I think my guinea pigs got mites.

2 Attachment(s)
I think it is static mite. It stick to their fur like it is glued. What should I do? One of my guinea pig is pregnant. Can I use anti-flea shampoo on them? Will all the mites go away? I'm so worried.

Below are the pictures that I found on the internet which is similar to my guinea pigs problem.

Rayquaza17 11-20-2012 10:13 PM

Re: HELP! I think my guinea pigs got mites.

For best results, you should go ask the vet what to do. He might be able to recommend something.

Fyfyn 11-21-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 (Post 101490)
For best results, you should go ask the vet what to do. He might be able to recommend something.

Vets here in Kedah does not know much about guinea pigs {cry}
I learned a lot about guinea pigs through websites and google. They said that using Revolution might work but too bad I can't find it in any pet stores here. Everything is VERY LIMITED {cry}

Maneki Neko 11-21-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyfyn (Post 101491)
Vets here in Kedah does not know much about guinea pigs {cry}
I learned a lot about guinea pigs through websites and google. They said that using Revolution might work but too bad I can't find it in any pet stores here. Everything is VERY LIMITED {cry}

Hi, Fyfyn --

Yes, I just did a quick search, too, and it looks like Revolution might be ok, but I would still be nervous about using that on a pregnant animal.

Have you asked any of the pet shop owners if they would order it for you? Maybe if you were willing to put down a deposit (so they know you're serious, and you'll really buy it when it arrives), they'll place a special order. I'm sure they can get it, even in Kedah! :-)

Fyfyn 11-23-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maneki Neko (Post 101492)
Hi, Fyfyn --

Yes, I just did a quick search, too, and it looks like Revolution might be ok, but I would still be nervous about using that on a pregnant animal.

Have you asked any of the pet shop owners if they would order it for you? Maybe if you were willing to put down a deposit (so they know you're serious, and you'll really buy it when it arrives), they'll place a special order. I'm sure they can get it, even in Kedah! :-)

I've checked with the vets, he can order Revolution for me with RM50 deposit. The medicine is RM98 {scared} Is there any other alternatives to treat my piggies? Revolution seems very costly {sweat}

Some people suggest me to use human flea meds. She said that she had used it on her guinea pigs and it works without killing it. I doubt it though.

Rayquaza17 11-23-2012 04:56 PM

It should be fine. Rm 98. Cause pregnant animal is quite fragile. Unless your vet allow frontline? Or advocate?

wongmaunchin 01-14-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyfyn (Post 101485)
I think it is static mite. It stick to their fur like it is glued. What should I do? One of my guinea pig is pregnant. Can I use anti-flea shampoo on them? Will all the mites go away? I'm so worried.

Below are the pictures that I found on the internet which is similar to my guinea pigs problem.

Fyfyn,
I would like to share some information with you on mites and lices on piggies. I had similar problem like you about this problem. Generally all piggies have mites or lices. You can't solve it as these mites, lices will come and go. I went to a licenced vet for solution and was told they don't sell products for small animals, unless for dogs and cats. So I was actually recommended for dogs mites and that small little bottle will be applied around the animal's neck. But be prepared to pay about $70-$80 for a very small bottle, perhaps just about 3-5mg. But cautious is not to let the animal lick it. Well it works for about 6 months. Anyway, I've found out an alternative method, to save cost. Wet their neck furs with concentrated freshly squeezed lime (fresh juice) and with a pinch of salt. Do it twice a week. Make sure the liquid really wet its skin. Well, you cant terminate all of them as lices, mites breeding fast perhaps thousands within days. The application works just to control or reducing the breeding. At least it saves cost. So, good luck.