PetFinder.my

PetFinder.my (https://forums.petfinder.my/index.php)
-   Hamsters (https://forums.petfinder.my/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   My dwarf hamster just gave birth (https://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=1527)

CanieAnne 12-15-2008 06:10 PM

My dwarf hamster just gave birth

Does any1 knows where to buy milk powder for baby hamsters ? My hammie just gave birth to 4 babies, it's her 2nd litter. She wasn't feeding the babies much during her 1st litter n some died fr hunger. Even the 2 babies survived with 1 which was so small n skinny, died when it was 2 mths old. {cry}

So I think I better prepare some milk for the babies in case she is not feeding all of them now. {sweat}

Any1 know where to buy, the price and how to feed tem?

Thank you.

Joanne

vivienlpl 12-15-2008 08:32 PM

Re: My dwarf hamster just gave birth

i dont think they sell hamster milk powder/solution like bigger pets
you can only feed the mother and not the little ones...

you still need to leave it to the mother..
within the 2 weeks its best that you dont touch them..
leave it to the mother and let nature takes its course

the moment you remove and feed your own - chances of survivor is 0 percent
i had this experience before

2 weeks is very critical

if the mother's leave the child..it is normal because they belong to rat family....

mixa 12-16-2008 10:45 AM

agreed with vivien..hamster should feed their own babies..i used to bela hamster about 4 to 5 years..

hamster ni kite must bagi their mum the food..you cuba bagi the hamster beansprouts bacause beansprout ade banyak water good for the mother so that the mother always have energy to feed their babies..

CanieAnne 12-16-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixa (Post 23625)
agreed with vivien..hamster should feed their own babies..i used to bela hamster about 4 to 5 years..

hamster ni kite must bagi their mum the food..you cuba bagi the hamster beansprouts bacause beansprout ade banyak water good for the mother so that the mother always have energy to feed their babies..

Thanks for ur advises, both Mixa and Vivien.

Hope my hammie will feed her babies throughout these 2 weeks. She's been doing a good job since yesterday. I guess she is wiser now, being her 2nd litter.

I really had bad experienced during her 1st litter back in June {sweat}

CanieAnne 12-16-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixa (Post 23625)

Mixa, can u tell me where to buy the hamster beansprouts ? Shop name n how much is it ? {happy}

mixa 12-16-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanieAnne (Post 23666)

Hope my hammie will feed her babies throughout these 2 weeks. She's been doing a good job since yesterday. I guess she is wiser now, being her 2nd litter.

same goes with me for my first time keeping the hamster..their mother eat them..what a nightmare..{what} but after dat, i bacame more good in taking care the hamster..

my hamster used to give birth to 10 babies hamster at once and all of them were survive.. thanx to experience..{victory}

but know i only have kittys..{shy}

vivienlpl 12-16-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanieAnne (Post 23666)

for the mother you can try to take soft white bread minus the skin
soak with normal warm milk powder........leave it aside or into a bowl
the mother will eat if she feels like it.....

but when you put it careful..dont let her notice your presence - do it in the morning when they are zzzzzzz
anything they sense - she goes "AMOK" - disaster ahead......
at times they eat up or kill their young - so dont move the cage nor change bedding. Dont stare..... dont disturb......

after 2-3 weeks
when the litter starts to have "hair/bulu" then you can try to observe
about nearly 1 month - if you are experience - you can separate the litters from the mother
same food - something soft and moist....

CanieAnne 12-16-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixa (Post 23669)
same goes with me for my first time keeping the hamster..their mother eat them..what a nightmare..{what} but after dat, i bacame more good in taking care the hamster..

my hamster used to give birth to 10 babies hamster at once and all of them were survive.. thanx to experience..{victory}

but know i only have kittys..{shy}

Well this happened to my other hamster, the female n the male hamster ate the babies, in a very cruel way {ohmygod} I can't bear to describe it {cry2}

I din know that she was giving birth so soon, n I happened to change her to another cage. The very next day, she gave birth n it happened. {mcanny}

Well, after this I will separate the males n females, but I'm running out of cage / space. Any1 has hamster cage / plastic tank to donate ? {madore}

Ferreted 12-16-2008 02:29 PM

off topic here.. on the adoption listings there is a white winter hamster who lost one of it's front paw. my question is only.. *you guys ever having hamster*.. you think he can still run? as in the wheel? is he gonna go psychotic without wheel? hehehe i genuinely want to know.. holler back..

CanieAnne 12-16-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferreted (Post 23680)
off topic here.. on the adoption listings there is a white winter hamster who lost one of it's front paw. my question is only.. *you guys ever having hamster*.. you think he can still run? as in the wheel? is he gonna go psychotic without wheel? hehehe i genuinely want to know.. holler back..

I saw at a fren's house, the hamster has a limped back paw but it still can run at the wheel, climb the steel wire cage.

but I'm not sure abt {scared} without 1 front paw. So sorry {mdumb}

Ferreted 12-16-2008 02:44 PM

yeah, that hamster is located in front of my ofis only.. haa.. really got me tempted.. i cannot refuse a hamster losing 1 paw.. so sad..

at least they can live in solitary and play with me a bit at night.. *thinkin thinkin*

CanieAnne 12-16-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferreted (Post 23684)
yeah, that hamster is located in front of my ofis only.. haa.. really got me tempted.. i cannot refuse a hamster losing 1 paw.. so sad..

at least they can live in solitary and play with me a bit at night.. *thinkin thinkin*

U r really kind-hearted, hope u have a great time with this hammie if u r really adopting it.{mfeelgood}

Anyway, if anyone has hamster cage / plastic tank to donate, pls PM me. {madore} Thanks a lot !

CanieAnne 12-16-2008 08:47 PM

HELP !!!! {mtoothgrin}

My hammie was feeding 3 of the babies when I got back fr work. So i gave her some food n bread soaked in milk. But now she is only feeding 2 of them {what}

vivienlpl 12-17-2008 10:16 AM

one gone.......

so hope the other two survive.........so at the mean time
dont disturb.........

when you put the food
put near the cage open door........and dont make her notices you if not that will be the last of the other 2 {sick}

mixa 12-17-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanieAnne (Post 23667)
Mixa, can u tell me where to buy the hamster beansprouts ? Shop name n how much is it ? {happy}

you can buy it at market..fyi, hamster is also like the rabbit..they eat every type of vegetables..you can give them, beansprout, carrot and cucumber as well..give the mother without her notice you..ok?? with no sound and any trace..{shy} so that she will not think her babies is in danger..once she think that her babies is in danger, she will definitely eat her babies..

GOOD LUCK!!!!

CanieAnne 12-17-2008 02:40 PM

Thanks a lot, again to Vivien and Mixa. I will try my best to keep all 4 babies alive and grow healthily with all ur tips !

noor22710 10-30-2009 05:20 PM

so scared when I read some of hammie will eat their own litter...omg...hope it is not happen to my hammie...{sweat}