View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet Food quality

Hi, Zatt --

You are right: cats are obligate carnivores, which means that their natural diet is very high in animal-based protein. They cannot derive protein from animal sources, as we humans can.

I've never heard of cats developing allergy to "high protein food", but I've heard that some cats will get diarrhea if they switch suddenly to very high protein food. From what I've read and heard from several vets, some cats are allergic to certain meats, but that's fairly uncommon.

As for the potatoes, cats do get some vitamins and minerals from the veggies in cans of wet food, so as long as the food is mostly meat (to meet their protein requirements), the veggies fill out their other nutritional needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatt View Post
Finally i found fussie cats... chicken with vegetable and brown rice... the texture is good with real chick meat, some potatoes, carrot and brown rice.. erm, but not sure whether rice and potatoes is good for cats. Tried feeding them with 1st can, each of them get half of the contains, and they clean their bowl..

Btw guys, just want to ask, is there any case of cat allergic to high protein food? But cats main requirement is protein rite?