View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How I see it: The 2 sides of Puppy Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieymlim3 View Post
Now that we are more knowledgeable about issues of puppy mills, I am able to foresee breeders to be negatively affected.
Hi Minnie --

One of the trademarks of a responsible breeder is that he makes certain that he will be able to find excellent homes for the puppies or kittens he breeds before he even considers his next litter. He does not sell the animals to anyone who simply holds out the money, and he never, ever sells them to pet shops. Reputable breeders will screen potential buyers as carefully as adoption agencies placing human babies, because they want to be sure the animals go to loving, lifelong homes.

I'm not sure how awareness of puppy mills would negatively affect these folks. They are not interested in placing their animals with the sort of person who would just as happily buy from a pet shop.

My own opinion is that animal-lovers in Malaysia need to work on improving public opinion of the countless mixed-breed dogs and cats, on advocating adoption instead of sale. As long as people hold the misguided opinion that purebred animals are superior, the puppy-kitten mill horrors will continue.

It's an important topic -- thanks for starting the conversation!