Thread: Little Sally
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Little Sally

The saga of Sally makes me wish others would post similar before & after photos of their rescued animals. I think June said something similar in a different thread -- sure, a lot of people hate the scruffy stray cats, but after she's cared for them for a few months, everyone wants them! If only we could all see the potential in each underfed, underloved animal with a dirty coat.

Sally went from being a sickly bag of bones to an irresistable Chewbacca floor mat! Likewise, it's amazing how cats can transform when we give them a place to keep themselves clean and a reasonable diet.

Bravo to Baca for seeing Sally's inner beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baca882004 View Post
Part 1

There was this little bundle of fur at SPCA. I saw "it" for a month, lying quietly in the cage whenever I visited. It needed a good home, I thought, but never considered adopting. The truth was, I am not a toy dog person, preferring bigger and more active ones like Goldens and Labradors. I probably can't stand the yapping, I told myself. What am I going to do with such an old dog?

The lady at SPCA was doing her best to persuade me to take her (the dog was a girl, I found out later). A week passed and she seemed more lethargic and sickly. Finally, I decided to take leave one day to bring her to the vet. Only to give her the shots and have her checked out, fully intending to put her back later.

I gave her a bath at SPCA. As expected, she was all bones and fur, no body fat at all. But the surprise came when I picked her up. She behaved like a real lady. She was relaxed and leaned against me, never made a noise, never mis-behaved. She sat in my car quietly, eyeing me once in a while. At the vet, she was patient and endured all the handling by the vet.

Unfortunately, she had fever and needed a week of medication. Her spleen was swollen and her eyes, infected. Needless to say, I didn't have the heart to put such a gentle lady back into the cage. So I brought her home and feeling like I've done something too impulsive.

It was raining heavily that day. She (still nameless) waited patiently in the car while I zoomed around town buying a cage, collars, Orijen, bowls and toys. I told her she was lucky it was raining so heavily as she can wait in the car while I shopped.

We got home and she explored the compound a bit, ate a bit and then slept a long while.