View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Article : Clumping Clay Litter : A Deadly Inconvenience

Hi filinlee/all

i've used most litter material out there in the market from sand (scented and non-scented) to clay (scented and nonscented - clumping and non clumping) to absorping crystals granulles to recycled fiber (compressed wood dusts) to recyled paper pellets. the costs ranged from less than Rm10 per bag (of about 2-3kg) to RM50+ for a small box (arm and hammer brand)(5kg or something like that) i bought from neigbhourhood grocery stores to generic in-store brand carry by hypermarket (carrefour, tesco, giant) to pet accessories store and pet specialty stores.

i don't quite remember the actual costs but i still remember the headaches and hassles (imagine a flooded litter box full of clumping clay and full of faeces inside - to clean or to throw - that's the question but also to disinfect the whole backyard cos the said litter tray was found flooding in the backyard due to stopped up drainage and it backflowed into my kitchen hence have to clean and disinfect the whole kitchen, we finish around 11pm). not to mention the health hazard. then there was also this "natural" clay sold at a hypermarket (in-house brand) but it stained my cats' paws a reddish colour and we always have to go over the rest of the house moping up the red stain and i was also guilty of tracking red-footprint all over.

right now i used a recyled paper pellet - i buy the largest bag available 35litre (do not know how much in kg but large bag) it costs around RM90 prices varies slightly depending on discounts given by retailers and will last my four cats (baring no tummy ache or diarrhea incidents) about 1-2 monhts (i use two litter boxes at the same time). i change it once a week for hygiene's sake and clean out the litter box with either dettol or diluted bleach but now i use germisep.