View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
Firstly, i need to know what type of cat was being adopted for so much. The ADOPTION FEES differ from one breed to another or / and also depends on the gender of the adopted animal(s).
Dear Mrs. Dolittle,

You don't have to look far for examples of the RM200-250 adoption fee -- the DSH cats listed on Petfinder are all listed at those fees.

Please understand, I am not trying to deprive the SPCA of funds, but if high adoption fees are stopping people from adopting, then who suffers? You said it yourself -- the animals.

As for the other points, I adopted Maneki a year ago from SPCA. She was an adult then, and everyone assured me she had been spayed. One lady on the staff said that Maneki had received her first vaccinations and that I should return her for the boosters. When I phoned back the day after I took her home to confirm that, another staff member told me that my cat had not received any vaccinations. I gave up and took her to my local vet for the shots. A month later, she went into heat. Good thing she's an indoor cat! Or maybe not a good thing -- I didn't sleep for a week!

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I know SPCA has too few resources and too many strays. I also feel that KL is better off with SPCA than without it, so I don't want to bash the organization. What's past is done. I brought up the adoption fee issue in reaction to the conversation I overheard, not because of my own experience. The thought of people seeing an adoption fee at SPCA and immediately thinking, "Hmmm, I'll go to a pet shop instead" just makes me crazy. If RM200-250 is what SPCA needs to collect to stay in business, well, I guess that's the way it is.

Either way, I thank you for your good heart and your devoted work!

Blessings,
Amanda