View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Guys,

You have voiced your opinions on SPCA, and they have been heard by the rest of us. But, it now appears to be going well overboard and I see some people getting overly emotional with strong sentences attacking SPCA.

It is always easy for you to criticize someone or some organization. Just like everyone who loves to complain about their jobs and bosses. BUT, put yourself into your boss' shoes, and you will see a whole different picture. There are many opposing forces, competing priorities, legal restraints and dozens of other issues to be considered when actions are to be taken, and red tape is bound to arise in organizations.

I agree that there is definitely room for improvement in SPCA, just like any organization. However, I definitely do not agree with claims that SPCA is of no purpose at all. There is no denying of SPCA's contribution to the animals and our community - whether it is on rescuing animals, rehoming them, or educating people. If you claim that they are not doing any of these, then you are likely so strongly prejudiced against them that you are selecting NOT to read/remember/recall the things that they have achieved. I am not saying that they are at their maximum efficiency, but there is still a lot achieved. I know of a friend who emailed SPCA to report a pack of stray puppies discovered at a vacant house, and within 1 hour, received a call from SPCA for more information, and hours later, they have sent their van over to pick the puppies up. You might be able to give negative examples, but so can others give positive ones.

Let's face it, there are thousands of strays everywhere and lots of calls for help, requests to surrender pets, investigations into abuse cases etc - do you think SPCA can efficiently respond to every single request and handle each case to your satisfaction? We are not even satisfied with the customer service of large corporations with hundreds of support staff, so there is an extent to how much SPCA can do with their limited resources.

Both SPCA and Independent pet rescuers are absolutely crucial, because there are never enough resources for any party to single-handedly resolve the issues. In fact, all these parties should be working hand-in-hand with the same mission and helping each other to improve, instead of pointing fingers at others' faults and belittling them.

What some of you are doing here is merely instilling dissatisfaction and hatred of SPCA among others, which I consider unacceptable. If this society fails to function properly, it is the animals that are going to suffer like what Blackie said, and the animal rescue, fostering, education, lobbying scenes would become even more chaotic.

I want to emphasize this - give constructive criticisms, but do not criticize and belittle others just for the sake of creating a tense atmosphere, making yourself heard or whatever personal agenda. Always think of the consequences and the big picture, put yourself into their shoes, and if you genuinely think you can do better, then by all means, join their organization and make the improvements instead of giving empty criticisms.
well said, Andy