View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 12:52 AM
PetFinder Buddy

RoyBlue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Abuse of PETFINDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer View Post

To be honest, I would rather have a dog sold quickly rather than have it sit in a cage at a petshop forever. If PetFinder can help sell the dogs faster, ti'll be better. Perhaps eventually we'll charge a fee for Pet Sellers to list.
My sentiments exactly. I've seen dogs at petshops GROWING OLD because even tho they are pedigree... sometimes they may not be taken in by people. It's so sad to see the dog growing in such an environment and eventually being a discount dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChew1987

I am worry though...if people start to sell pets, especially pedigrees here, mongrels might not stand a chance in competing with them.

Whenever i have pups to be put up for adoption, people will ask me what pedigree is mixed in the pups. I don't really like it when they ask me that, although it is part of the information, but a dog is a dog, when i mention mongrel, you should know it is a mongrel.

Like one of the adopters i encountered, he did not ask the type of pedigree at all. One look at the pups and he fell in love. When i asked him why he did not ask me about the pedigree type, he just said

"It doesn't matter to me at all. I love them just the same."

It is just a thought...
The thing is, sometimes people go for pedigree dogs for reasons of determining it's behavior... whether it's a hyper little fellow like a Jack Russell Terrier or a gentle giant like Saint Bernards or Labradors.

The great disadvantage of mongrels is that being mixed, not much research has been done to our furry friends of the lesser bloodline. Therefore, it would be hard to determine the dogs characteristics.

I face the same thing EVERYTIME somebody comes to adopt a dog/cat at PAWS. First thing they'll ask would be... what breed is it. If it's a mongrel, I usually answer that they're DESIGNER DOGS (much to the puzzled look of most adopters) But I have stumbled across a few adopters who have a different mentality altogether. These are the ones that REALLY REALLY CARE for the animal. They would actually ask this question because they don't want a to take a dog which doesn't really match their personality/lifestyle and believe that it's cruel to give an animal false hope of being adopted ONLY to be returned to the shelter.

Not many people have the ability to cope with a wide variety of animals like most of us. I believe that it's not about the quantity of dogs rehomed but as well as the QUALITY of the home that the dog is rehomed to.

Thanks for reading.