View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Animal Lover

miket is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dog Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienlpl View Post
miket,

not really into nutrition but basically food for dogs in natural..
what do owner feed their dog with.....

... so i like to know.... in depth of dog owners giving food to their dogs from pup to adult size
Hi Vivien

I don't see how nutrition is separate from "food for dogs". In fact, nutrients is what dogs need, food is just the instrument/vehicle to transport the specific nutrients into the dogs digestive tract.

Let me put this another way.

Dogs have requirements for specific nutrients rather than particular foods and provided these needs are met, the type of food (kibbles, fresh raw, cooked or mixture of these) is not relevant. In other words, the nutrients in the food you give to your dog is what really matters to the dog. I suppose I am asking you to understand the distinction between the form and function of canine nutrition. If you can do this, you're well on your way.

Dr Ian Billinghurst is a pioneer in raw-food feeding. His site will explain why he prefers raw food, as well as what to feed and how to do it.

The e-book I refer to is pretty much the same info with some exceptions. It is an entire book. Also, it has more info about the problems you find in 99% of all the prepared petfood (kibbles from Eukanuba, Science Diet, Nature's Way, etc.).

I'm assuming you have not read the links I provided! It would be best if you do that, then you would understand the real problem in canine nutrition today.

Essentially, the prepared dogfood market provides grain-based diet. Minimal proteins (of the right kind), fats, minerals and vitamins. Although they always label it 'complete' or 'balanced', it is NOT complete nor balanced diet for dogs. It is deficient in nutrients because, like I said, it is mainly grain-based.

Finally, as for what other owners feed their dogs, I cannot speak for them. Suffice to say, it should not be relevant to YOU in what YOU FEED TO YOUR DOG. Unless, of course, the other owners do understand canine nutrition. So, I suppose the more relevant question is when you ask for opinions, are they qualified or knowledgable enough to speak intelligently about canine nutrition. Some might well be, others not.

My opinion on canine nutrition? If you don't buy dogs from pet-mills, why feed grain-based diets from fraudulent manufacturers?

Hope this helps.