Thread: No-kill shelter
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: No-kill shelter

Yes...no-kill shelter. Too many shelters put the animals to sleep after their "expiry date", like throwing away a can of beans that have expired.

Err...just to lari topik for a while (sorry, DIMB), I want to share an experience I had a year or 2 ago. I rescued this tiny kitten from a rubbish dumpster, it was about 2 weeks old or less, and all covered with big, red fire ants. It was meowing so pitifully all day, and I finally followed its voice to a dumpster across the road from where I used to live. I cleaned it up, bottle-fed, and took it to a shelter the next day. The person in charge asked for donation, which I didn't mind giving, but what upset me was after issuing me with a receipt, she said they'll put the kitten to sleep as it's too young to be adopted.

I was in a dilemma. I couldn't keep it, and I couldn't bear to see such a cute kitty put to sleep. It resembles my Blackie when it was that age. I felt that I had made a big mistake taking the kitten there, that instead of rescuing it, I had actually condemned it to death. After that, I no longer take any strays to the shelter.

So, any shelters that adopt a no-kill policy have my fullest support.