View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 06:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

shahcats is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My cat is losing hair and has little scabs on his body

Quote:
Originally Posted by qitqat View Post
Hope someone would be able to help me

I have a 3year old male (neutered at 6months old) DLH cat which is losing most of his fur on his back & tail for the past few months or so. He has bald patches and some scabs possibly due to over grooming. I immediately took him to the vet when I saw the 1st bald patch and was told it was due to fleas. Treated and free of fleas, his bald patches remain (no scabs yet). I went to the same vet again but was told it was normal and I need to give it time to grow.

A few months passed with no progress on the bald patches, I changed to different shampoos just in case it was due to allergies (friskies -> fido -> some fancy shampoo I can't recall the name but specially made for sensitive cats). No changes made to his diet tho and I feed him Blackwood, RC hair & skin, RC hairball. I also noticed he has lost weight but his stool looks fine to me. His head & belly remains soft & bushy tho...

After more months passed by and with no positive changes I took him to a different vet. She confirms that he's very clean, skin looks good and free of fleas. This time I was told it was due to lack of hormone . Some pills were given which I fed him on schedule but to date still no improvement. I was told by the vet that its a phase that will pass but now I'm seeing scab on these bald patches. I'm really worried and I don't want to wait few more months but I have no clue what to do. 2 visits to different vets doesn't seem to work.

Thankfully my other furkids are not affected..
hye there..have u try malaseb shampoo? my cat used to have same prob with yours..but after using malaseb the scabs slowly cured..and if u stay near damansara or pj..u can come to hands and paws vet clinic..they have 4 docs there and have special stuff to detect or cure some skin problem..they also have ultra scanner looks like in CSI's scene