View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Smile Re: My cat is losing hair and has little scabs on his body

I believe in Blackie007 n Shahcats statement...Evening Primrose Oil helps Ashanta a lot during her bald patches/flakes condition. It caused by stress from her new environment n' allergic reaction from flea bites. Although she don't have fleas. She also got fever and every time she ate or stand she was shivering.

Nasib bailk lah u Shahcats... ade klinik kat situ banyak facilities....kat Pulau Langkawi nie only got 1 clinic n no petshop. I only use vet's advice and my own experiences... The vet injected her with anti-biotics, prescribed me with Malaseb and Frontline.
I order Brewer's yeast, Pethealth plus and Petdiatric shampoo Black series through my friend Sabrina who is expert in DLH and Persian cats.

Malaseb is powerful for some cats' skin like Ashanta but I use it only 2x during her critical period took her a warm bath every 4x a week then for maintenance I use the Petdriatic shampoo. Every rinsing, she got vinegar on her warm water, to relief from itchiness and also fleas won't bite her again , she is drinking her water with few drops of apple vinegar and 1/4 tabs of Brewer's yeast.

For her spray, I use only Pet health plus coz this is only product that can be lick n eaten by cats/dogs after the vet gave me Frontline ( used only twice) and used Frontline spot on rather than spray. I afraid the air suddenly blows it into her eyes or nostrils. She will get stress more.

Her diet only steam fish (Tuna or salmon) not boiled, raw beef and bone and beef liver lightly boiled blended with parsley/celery. I always add a 2 tsp of olive oil (cooking oil works as well) for hair ball problem and its anti-oxidant properties. Kibbles for snack only and some days even a week none at all.
For her supplement I used Nutri plus once in a while (so little amount only) and Gimpet Multivitamin Plus every morning...and at night Brewer's yeast , before she sleeps, I give her Evening primrose oil.

Less than a week she is ok. A week after that the hair started to grow again then weeks more passed, her fur is thick back again. She also gained weight n' tak sorok lagi like before. She is not constantly licking, biting & scratching her skin/furs anymore. Back to normal feline baby again.

You can refer from the pic.
Before and after:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.JPG
Views:	728
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	10453
Click image for larger version

Name:	After.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	10454

Hope it helps you as well.
Please consult your vet for more queries.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Eve

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Cats can be emotional creatures. My Blackie was never clingy until one day when we had to rush off to Penang for my grandma's funeral. It was sudden death, she wasn't sick, and there was no time to hunt for a boarding for Blackie. (The boarding I had enquired had said they won't be responsible if he escapes while under their care, so it's not an option to board him there.) We left him with enough food, water and 5 litter boxes for 2 nights, and when we came home, he was hiding and trembling in fear. From then on, he follows me around like as if he fears that I'm going to disappear again.

So maybe, it's possible that the stress of the loss of his mother cat brought on the loss of hair. Have you tried giving him supplements like Evening Primrose Oil for pets (don't use the human ones)?

Last edited by Marcelleve; 12-12-2010 at 07:26 PM.