Thread: cat litter
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cat litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygjau View Post
I have 2 kitties 7 months old. I have problem with the litter box that the amount of pee is too much and consume litter about 1/3 of the volume. I have tried putting newspaper underneath. Still it is not so effective.
Any one got idea?
I recommend getting a 2nd litter box.

Also, are you using clumping clay litter? You might consider switching your cats over to pine pellets, as they tend to last longer and are flushable. I've found them more economical, and I like that there are no chemicals, just pine. It took a while for my cats to get used to them, though. I had to make the change slowly, placing a thin layer pine pellets underneath their old type of litter. After a week of that, I started increasing the amount of pine pellets and decreasing the amount of the old litter until they accepted the pine.

Finally, you'll get the most out of the pine pellets if you invest in a 2-part litter tray, which has a grid in the bottom of the upper half. To clean, just scoop the poop out of the top part. When the pellets have absorbed as much urine as they can, they fall apart, and the sawdust drifts down to the bottom part. From there, you just put it into the toilet and flush. These trays are about RM50, if I recall, but they pay for themselves with the amount of litter you save. Good luck!