View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Raw meat as Cat Foods

Hi, all --

I was just looking around on the web for more info on a good raw diet, and I came across a site, www.catinfo.org -- about making your own raw cat food. It's by a vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson.

She states very clearly what I tried to say in my first post: It's important to pay attention to the contents of raw diet. It's not enough to feed your cats raw meat alone. If you don't make a completely nutritious raw food for your cats, it's better to buy it or to feed canned food.

Here's what she says:

Quote:
I frequently see people jump into making cat food without doing their homework and without any thought as to using a balanced recipe. This is what gives veterinarians - including myself - a very good reason for recommending against homemade diets.

I recently came across a post on an internet group stating how "wonderful" my Making Cat Food page is - including the recipe provided below. However, the poster then went on to outline what she was feeding to her cat which was not even close to the recipe discussed on this webpage! This poor cat was being fed a terribly UNbalanced diet because his owner was using her own 'creation' based very loosely on the recipe below.

She had completely missed the boat on this very critical issue and was harming her cat - plain and simple.

If you are not going to follow a balanced recipe, then please feed a balanced, commercial canned food diet. Please see Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition for reasons why dry food is not a healthy diet for any cat.

Basically, she's re-stating what Mimi has said in her posts: if we feed raw, we really need to take the time to educate ourselves about our cats' nutritional needs.