View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IMPORTANT: Read this before you bring a new kitten/cat home

I agree with Blackie on some cat just can't stand each other. I have the same trouble myself. I have rescued an adult male cat for almost 2 months now, he's been living in a cage but in the same room as my other two cats and recently I've started to let him out to mingle with my 2 cats.

Sadly, my eldest cat just can't tolerate him to the point of huge cat fight that took somewhat a huge amount of water to disperse them. They tolerate each other when one is in a cage and the other outside (though spats happened even while being separated) but when my eldest cat starts to show signs of stress even while the new cat is still in the cage, with heavy heart I have to let go of the new cat. If they've been exposed to each other's scent after 2 months but still can't tolerate each other, I don't think they ever will. Some cats just hate each other.

P/S: Alpha males will always have a battle of supremacy I guess (even after being neutered).. *huge audible sighs*

In terms of rehoming, never let a new cat roam your house if you don't have every opening covered in my opinion. Make sure every doors and windows closed. Better if you keep them caged for a few days and get acquainted with the sight, smell and sound of the new home. Even when you first let them roam the house, follow it around and see where it goes.
Again, always pay extra attention when opening doors or windows at least in the first week of letting the new cat roam the house. Cats are fast on their feet, in a blink of an eye they might be dashing out the door.
But when they're accustomed to your home, they won't even try to run out anymore (though be careful just in case, loud noises or strangers could frighten them and make them dash to god knows where).