View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Resolution of Dispute - Kyzoor's Cats

Yes, this is true. I said "most cats". What would have happened here is the cat that was either the carrier or actually showing the symptoms was introduced into the environment, and the others were infected, via, as you pointed out, litter box, bedding,saliva and such. But still, it's not directly in contact with another cat, meaning, it's not an airborne virus.

For example, if you put 1 infected cat in a cage and 1 uninfected cat outside of the cage in the same room, and don't handle the uninfected cat after handling the infected cat, and the uninfected cat does not use of the items that the infected cat has used, the uninfected cat should be relatively safe. That said, it's still safer to separate them, as the uninfected cat might touch the cage where the infected cat is kept. This is what I meant by not via direct contact with an infected cat....it's not airborne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
But bear in mind Blackie....when one cat has parvovirus and is sharing one litter box with other cats... this virus can also spread to the other healthy cats.

I also read that this virus can be passed through bedding, saliva and handlers handling infected cats and then handling other non affected cats.

Last edited by blackie007; 07-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.