View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Pastu, keep pestering people to adopt, adopt, adopt ... padahal all our homes are already full (legal limit for pets sudah full) ... and I am saying, "release, release, release ... don't depend on adoption alone and don't kill the unadoptables ... release them into managed stray colonies that are fully castrated.
Dear Furkids,

You are saying that we need both strategies, yes? I agree that TNR is the best idea for a cat who has been living by its wits on the streets for all or most of its life.

On the other hand, the cats who have been pets and then get surrendered would probably not last a week on the streets if neutered and released. (My own cat's survival skills are limited to yowling in front of the refrigerator every morning before sunrise... )

And I don't know why I write only about cats... It seems like the Pulau Kitam dog community would be a prime candidate for TNR, whereas a dog who has lived as a family pet for some years would not.

As I think about this I wonder about the origins of the animals at SPCA, PAWS, etc. How many are brought in off the streets and could survive there again if neutered and released, vs. how many are surrendered pets who really need adoption? Does anyone know? Does the staff at SPCA currently gather and record any sort of info like this when they take animals in? I suppose, if the only two options at present are adoption or euthanasia, there's no point...

I will say this, if we're talking about a surrendered adult pet (not a stray) who does not get adopted, I think euthanasia is the more humane option. Would you agree?