View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Animal Lover

freewilly85 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to take care of a pet turtle / pet tortoise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimimaro84 View Post
not long after that the black one got killed by the aggressive one, so ganas go bite the head off...i am sure i feed them everyday...was so kinda scary to dig it out from the container...then next was the small turtle. He also kena makan. The head was completely eaten part of the shell was shred to pieces...huhu

when they grow big dun put finger into the tub, they will bite n never release. need kill to release i seen in a clinic b4.

That's why I say terrapins are carnivorous... They will release if they didn't mean to bite you. I have my terrapins for 11-12 years, a pair, but both were bought few years apart. If you want to mix a big terrapin with a small terrapin, make sure that the small terrapin's shell is hard enough to protect itself.

Why I say they will release if they didn't mean to bite you? Because I used to hand feed my big terrapin. I would hold the food on my hand & put in front of her. She ate happily. But sometimes she would like "aimed wrongly", the mouth went straight into my finger instead of the food. But once she bit my finger & felt not right, she would let go. Cause she knew she bit something wrong. No cut, no blood. Maybe because she is my pet for 11-12 years, that's why she didn't bite hard when taking food from my hand.

But, when I am hand feeding my boyfriend's painted terrapin (a local species), he also accidentally bit me & straight away let go. Trust me, it is not a good experience being biten by an adult painted terrapin. That time my finger got a deep cut & bleed. It was an accident though. It didn't mean to bite me that's why it released straight away.

These are just my experiences, just thought of sharing. Don't purposely make the terrapin mad & to bite you, then come running to me with the terrapin still hanging on your hand with its mouth & said that I lied by saying they will release their bites. BECAUSE THIS TIME THEY MEANT TO BITE YOU...

FreeWilly