View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Maneki,I have raised this question when not so well to do friend of mine decided to adopt cat/kitten from SPCA.They are charging her for RM200 that supposedly include vaccination,deworm and neutering.But this girl is from out of town and it doesn't need a rocket scientist to figure out how on earth is she going to bring the kitten for deworming,vaccination and neuter on schedule. So she went to her vet in town instead.The thing was,she initially intend to adopt the other kitten (they were siblings) but couldn't afford to pay RM400 for 2 kittens.

Recently she adopt 2 more kittens from the street. The question is Charlene,if everybody decided to adopt stray from the street what happen to the cat in SPCA?? People adopt from SPCA because they know how hard for SPCA to maintain the place with overflowing of dogs and cats with limited workers and fund (from the way they story was tell seems that they short of workers and fund. Not my own word) Some strays can adapt and adjust with human and they can be adopted but not all strays can be adopted.Once they were ferals from born,they won't be able to mingle with human at home and other cats at home (if the house have any cats). Like strays in my area, I feed them regularly and trapped them for TNR.They can't live with human.I tried already. Finally, I let them go and they seems happy to be back to their own colony and area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hello, all -- Let me be clear from the start: I don't want to start a fire-storm here. I just want to relate a conversation that I overheard and ask a sincere question. It was between a Malaysian man (a cat lover who has adopted from SPCA in the past) and woman. The woman said that SPCA is now charging RM200-250 for adoption of cats. The man replied, "What?! Can buy pedigree from pet shop for that lah!"

Keep in mind, this man is an animal lover who does not support pet shops. His point was clear: asking this sort of fee for adoption of cats is not going to encourage people to adopt strays from shelters.

When I adopted my cat from SPCA, the fee was RM100. As it turned out, she had not been spayed, and if she'd gotten any vaccinations there, the SPCA couldn't give me any proof of it. I paid my own vet for vaccinations, deworming and spaying, after giving RM100 to SPCA. My Malaysian friends told me I'd been foolish, but I figured the SPCA needs funds to operate, so I let it go.

My question is this: If the RM200-250 adoption fee leads animal lovers to consider a pet shop a relative bargain, is it in the animals' best interest to charge such a high fee? And for that sum, can the SPCA provide proof of deworming, vaccination, and in the case of female cats, spaying?

I agree with charging a reasonable adoption fee. It discourages people from adopting pets thoughtlessly and attaching no value to them. It also helps to cover the medical costs that the shelter/rescuer has incurred (shots, neutering, etc.) The question is, what is reasonable? Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by June; 05-05-2009 at 11:47 AM.