View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet Food quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Recently, I bought my monthly supply of canned cat food. I normally feed my cat Fussie Cat because that's the only brand she'll eat. I notice the quality of the food is not the same as the previous batch that I have bought.

The food used to be solid and compactly packed into the can where if you shake the can, you can't hear watery sounds. Now however, the food looks watery and soft. It's the same for all the cans I've bought. It looks disgusting and even my cat looks at it suspiciously.

It also made my cat vomit and have diarrhea

Another brand I tried is Avoderm. Is it always soft, soggy and watery?

What other can food should I try? (not Whiskas or Friskies)
Hi, Meffy -- the premium brands of cat food seem to come in 2 consistencies: either chunky or smooth. The Avoderm is definitely a premium brand, and it's consistently smooth. The EVO that Kynthia mentioned is another in this category, as is California Natural.

The Addiction wet foods tend to be more on the chunky side.

Go! and Natural Balance are other very reputable wet food brands.

I've just tried KiwiSafe, which is a grain-free wet food. It's chunky, mixed with good vegetables, and it does not contain that gelling agent used in fabric softener. It's about half the price of the Addiction for the same size can. I expect there is some decrease in quality, but I can't spot it from reading the label, and my cats eat it readily.

Last edited by Maneki Neko; 09-10-2012 at 10:27 PM.