View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Campaign Stop puppy and kitten Backyard breeder do trade through Pet Shop

Just for clarification's sake....

June, first of all, the opinions and comments here which you felt are judgemental towards animals rescuers is NOT an across the board statement. Well, at least, for me, as I can only speak for myself. It is not targeted towards all animal rescuers. Perhaps you misunderstood, due to recent developments.

There are genuine animal rescuers here, whose work I deeply respect and would never belittle. At the same time, there are so-called animal rescuers who don't walk the talk.

They close their eyes to activities that are totally against everything they claim to believe in. For example, there is even one so-called animal rescuer who I understand is a BYB herself, but would never admit to that, and would even tell everyone that she is anti-BYB. If being upset at such hypocrisy is considered judgemental, then I guess we have different definitions on what judgemental is.

Second, it seems that there is another type of animal rescuer. This type opens an animal shelter, and then starts a pet shop. Tells all the customers about the animal shelter and asks them if they would like to donate to the shelter. The customers felt obligated, and so bought more pet food which they left behind with the pet shop owner for her animal shelter. What do you call this?? Sincere animal rescuer??!! Sounds more like an opportunist to me.

So, those who know of such activities and still support such activities really have no right to go around making the claims they are making about how they are animal rescuers. They are making a mockery of the real animal rescuers.

As for whether everyone of us here are guilty of patronising petshops that sell animals, yes, at one point all of us are. I used to buy my pet products from Petsmore Kepong and Pet Safari at Ikano. But I've stopped doing that now that I understand the living conditions of those poor animals in the shops. And I am sure those who supported this campaign have also stopped buying from those pet shops that sell pets.

Third, there is a difference between a BYB, kitten/puppy mill and an ethical breeder. A certified breeder does not mean he or she is an ethical breeder. A certified breeder, if breeds their cats or dogs like Imadi Pet Shop, is called a kitten mill or puppy mill.

Hope this clarifies what this campaign is about. Anybody who encounters any unethical pet shops, BYBs or kitten/puppy mill is encouraged to share their personal experience here, without fear or favour, be they Chinese, Indian, Malay or others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Ashley,you post got me thinking. I'm amused when everybody start to say not to BYB,stop buying from petshop selling animals etc. Come on,I believe,everyone of us here are guilty for patronising this kind of petshop.Does Petsmore,Pets Wonderland, ring a bell?? (many more petshop,but can't remember the name except for Jimmy's.I know he didn't sell livestock). Buying toys,cage,litter sand etc etc from this kind of shop?? Some buy animals from Certified Breeder. Is there any different?? No difference to me. Still buying instead of adopting.

2nd thing, when we rescuers being judged just because we buy from certain petshop. First of all, have this people ever lift their finger to rescue any animals?? Only feeding? Makes me want to laugh very hard.Is that what they call rescuer?? Do they know our hardship?? Have to deal with the law (DBKL, MMPJ, MPAJ etc), have to tightening our belt,difficulty to find new home for nto so beautiful cats. All they do here is cheering and doing pom pom dance. That's all.

All I ask for this people to do look yourselves in the mirror and examine yourself. I didn't say we are better,or holier than thou but at least we try instead of talking and yakking without doing anything. Pls put yourselves in our shoes before shoot us with all kind of accusations.

Tell me, am I wrong to say this??
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I know Alicia.I just want to make a point to certain people who are judgemental towards us.

By the way Alicia.do you know that certain certified breeder works hand in hand with BYB?? I'm shocked to know that but it is true. So I guess the right word will be ethical breeder.