View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Animal Lover

shima138 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Edu: Any TESLians out there? :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
Firstly, introducing myself :

Course : B.Ed TESL ( twinning program IPGM with UPSI )
3 years IPGM ( maktab )and 3 years UPSI
Grad in August 2008
Posted at Penang Free School around June 2008

1) How many years ya TESL ni? Is it too late for me?

For me No, it is not yet late. Every diploma students will go through their degree and it is not impossible for you to do intra-disciplinary kinda courses. It and English ( education ) are still coherence with each other. As for me, my M.Ed is not TESL anymore..I went for M.Edu Tech as I love computers very much and through self-learning / interest, I merged both interest into 1. ( can't find Computer Applications in Learning and Teaching course in Malaysia). 4 years for normal degree course. 6 years for abnormal course set up by the government

2) Is it possible for me to change from IT diploma tu Edu degree? (assuming I wanna continue my studies in IPTA)

I guess, yes you may. try to apply through the net. Check for UIA, USM, UiTM, UPSi ( not actually recommended heheheh) as your case will be considered as 'saluran kedua'. Instead of using STPM certs, you use diploma cert. Or if you want to go IPTS, my brother is doing his B.Ed TESL in UNISEL. Maybe you want to check them up first. Anyway, or anywhere, if you study with the government scholarships , you will not need to worry of teaching placement later ( as they will post you first ). But for those taking education using PTPTN, there's more interviews and tests to be done before being posted..it will take some time there. Or get into one of the Uni mentioned, try to fight for the Biasiswa Perguruan persekutuan, offered to 2nd year students, with of course excellent results from first semester. The scholarship will determine your assurance of a quicker posting later on. Other wise, there's another ways, just that they are longer

3) Was it hard? I mean, do we have to be real fluent in English? Im more like, I can write, read, understand but not talk. Im a bit scared since my vocabs are limited, my English are no better than secondary school's level.

i started off with reading ( I love reading lots of novels ) and then started to write. Talking came after I was in the course itself, we automatically conversed with each other in English ( as we have variants of races, Malay, Chinese, indians, Sabahan and etc etc) and started dating English speaking Malay guys ( maybe you want to try this out..the best way to master good English..my friend at school has the accent of the American as she is dating an American~~ ) then finally, I am posted to a secondary school with English as the first language. My conclusion is that, during your study days, you will improve ..and you have to improve.. So I guess with all the presentations that will come in, the activities you will be in, the crowd that you will have, the lecturers that you will meet and the reading materials that you will read.. it will mature you in 4 years time.

And..to grad you will need MUET at least Band 3 ( right?) .. but try to take and retake and retake until you get at least Band 5 ( then the school will not downgrade you later, hopefully.. )but looking at your language, Band 5 won't be any problem tho.

And.. having fluent English and teaching the language itself are not 2 similar things.. You will get to know the hardest part. And yes, Literature is a lil bit hard ( I did 2 years foundation studies on that ) but if you love reading, everything will make sense to you..

Sudah letih taip.. berenti kejap

add: if you have money.. check University of Nottingham in Malaysia . They have good TESL courses.
Where do I find English-speaking Malay guys?! But they don't have to be Malay, you know LOL
Punya la panjang Kasih tulis, part tu je yang dihighlightkan :P Well my IPG is an all-girls institute. But then again, I haven't really met Malay guys who speak English and speak English well, unless they are TESLians themselves.