View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Animal Lover

meiers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 Medications You Should NEVER Give Your Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
You can use Mobic for a painkiller. I forget the compound name, but its marketed by Pfizer (if I am not mistaken) for dog arthritis under a doggy brand. Its pretty cheap, about rm1 or less per tab. You should calculate it by kg, just google the dosage as I have not used it in some time. However, do not give high dose for a long period of time as it can irritate the stomach lining and cause ulcers. Ulcers bad. Bleeding ulcers, very bad

The reason why I bought Mobic from a human pharmacy is because the vet was selling me a generic version, which I doubt was actually formulated for animals anyway, for RM2 per tab. Ugh

Mobic aka Meloxicam, is the original brand for people medicine. It is in the same class as Asprin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen... NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
It is effective, but have many side effects too... particularly stomach discomfort (like you mentioned) and potentially bleeding... due to it's non selective activity.

The medicine your vet sold to you is probably a pain killer (anti-inflammatory) medication which is in a class known as COX-2 inhibitor (i think they have it in doggy medication, coz we have it for ppl meds). This med selectively reduces the inflammation without up causing much side effect experienced with a non selective med like mobic.

In short... it would be great for dogs to take the COX-2 inhibitor medication especially if he's on it long term.
If the dog already used to taking mobic, and you're used to giving him mobic, it's no problem, but do watch out for stomach discomfort, bloody stools, and bruising. Also, a blood test every now and then would be great