View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Warning - Do NOT Feed These Foods to Your Dog

You know that I'm a big believer in nutrition. A week or so ago, I sent you a newsletter about 5 harmful foods that you should NEVER give to your dog. They were:

Alcoholic Beverages
Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums
Grapes and Raisins
Baking Powder and Baking Soda
Chocolate
While these foods may prove harmful to your dog, this list of dangerous foods was not complete, and I wanted to make sure that no one thought it was. So today, I'm going to tell you about some more foods that you should not feed to your dog.

There are several more dangerous and potentially harmful foods that you should never feed your dog. They are:

1. Coffee (grounds and beans). Coffee grounds or beans can cause "caffeine" toxicity in dogs.

2. Fatty Foods. Dogs love rich fatty foods. They often get these foods as treats, leftovers or from getting into the trash. Fatty foods can cause pancreatitis in any pet except miniature or toy poodles. Cocker spaniels and miniature schnauzers are particularly prone to pancreatitis. The dog may become very sick very quickly.

3. Dairy Products . Dairy products are not highly dangerous but can pose problems for two reasons. Dairy products have a high fat content, and like other fatty foods, they could cause pancreatitis. The second danger is that pets digest dairy products poorly.

4. Macadamia Nuts. Macadamia nuts, also called the Queensland or Australia nut, can be toxic ... but we don't know why. The reason may be a mystery, but the evidence is clear. As few as six to 40 macadamia nuts have been shown to cause severe toxic symptoms in dogs.

5. Moldy or Spoiled Food . Dogs love to get into the trash. A medical problem arises when the trash contains moldy or spoiled food. In addition to food poisoning, some pets can develop tremors related to the ingestion of certain molds.

6. Nutmeg. You may not realize this but high levels of nutmeg can be toxic - even fatal. The toxicity principle is not well understood, but signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities and death.

7. Onions or Garlic . Dogs and cats lack the enzyme necessary to properly digest onions. A dog or cat that eats onions may experience gas, vomiting, diarrhea or severe gastrointestinal distress. All forms of onion and garlic are problematic, including raw, dehydrated, cooked or powder.ed forms. If large amounts of onion or garlic are ingested, or if onions are a part of your dog's daily diet, the red blood cells may become fragile and break apart.

8. Xylitol (sugar substitute). Xylitol is a sweetener made from sugar-alcohol.It is found in sugar-free human food products, such as chewing gum and candy.

9. Yeast Dough . When ingested, bread or yeast dough will "rise" in your dog's stomach just as rises in bread. This creates two problems. The dough often expands to many times its original size while inside your dog's stomach, causing your dog's stomach to expand as well. As the dough rises and ferments, alcohol is produced which can cause "alcohol toxicity."

By Dr. Jon

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.