View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: shih tzu for adoption

Hi, Vani --

It sounds like this dog is going to need a special person to adopt him. Shih Tzus are prone to glaucoma (thanks to bad breeding practices), and that's probably what's causing the cloudy eyes. If so, he'll need expensive medications and possibly even surgery to remove one or both of the eyes. Left untreated, glaucoma will leave him blind and in pain from the eye pressure. His skin problem -- possibly also inherited -- will also require special diet and medical treatment.

Kavien specifically asked for a Shih Tzu for free. It doesn't sound like he's in a position to foot the steep vet bills this dog is likely going to run up, never mind grooming bills, special food, and normal maintenance costs.

I hope Aunty Fan can find someone with a big heart and a big enough wallet to give this pup a good home for the rest of his life!

I wish the careless backyard breeders who breed and sell Shih Tzus like mad would see the results of their deeds -- sure, the puppies look cute and healthy, but the dog reaches middle age and the inherited disorders start to appear. Glaucoma, all sorts of skin ailments, hip dysplasia... They've got their money in the bank, and the dogs suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vani View Post
Hi,

I heard from Aunty Fan that Paws Mission has a shih tzu and they are urgemtly looking for an adopter for him.. However please be informed that he is 7 years old and has cloudy eyes and skin problem (mange)..he was found abandon in the market..
For further info please contact Paws Mission...or if u pm me i can pass Aunty Fan's number 2u..

TQ