View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Charlene,

I'm a secret undercover agent from Amazon sent to subtly brainwash people's minds into using Kindle

Yes, Kindle is lousy at displaying PDFs (you have to zoom in to each section of the PDF page to properly view it, no text-to-speech and dictionary search capabilities) - although that is more of a software hurdle than hardware, as can be seen from improved PDF functions in the latest system update. But to me it's still way inferior compared to reading a nicely illustrated PDF on an iPad or coloured devices, because of the images and formatting.

But, if your PDFs are mainly just novels or words, there would be no problem, as you can easily convert it using Calibre - which is the best ebook format converter around - to Kindle-supported MOBI format.

You can also easily re-download your PDF documents in MOBI format, as ebook readers are proliferating and lots of materials are available in this format. Even if this format is not available, you can get those in the formats of EPUB, LIT or even HTML or TXT, which all convert perfectly well to MOBI using Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
I suspect Andy has persuaded Amazon to pay him a commission for promoting Kindle so heavily. :)

I must say that Kindle does sound like it's the better buy. My only reservation that's holding me back from taking that plunge is that Kindle does not support PDF documents that well. About 95% of my ebooks are in PDF formats. A few were previously in LIT and ePUB formats which I had converted long before I knew of Kindle's drawback, and the original formats have been deleted.

So, for the time being, until I decide on which ebook to purchase, I'm reading mine on the computer, using the Caliber ebook viewer. It's more convenient than reading it with the Adobe. :)

Last edited by AndyKoh; 12-27-2010 at 01:35 PM.