View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Whoa! I can't believe you guys are still at it. I didn't log in in the morning, and 4 long pages have flown by. But, the worst is, there is mud-slinging and condescension now!

If you guys can't learn to debate civilly, and agree to disagree, then I second what Andy said, hop over to your MSN and argue yourselves to death.

Didn't you guys read what I wrote last night? Or do I have to shout it out??? Nah, here it is below, hopefully you can understand what I am trying to say here.....STOP IT NOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
ruth, i'm not offended, not to worry. we are just sharing opinions and discussions, it's nothing personal, right? unless u want to make it personal.

i am pretty ambivalent about spca and am not blind to their faults. but it doesn't help to bash them up like this, because their funds will decline.

when that happens, what spca is going to do, and pretty good at, is to KILL EVEN MORE animals in there.

let's say, hypothetically, they kill 10 animals a day. now, when funds decline, they're going to up the ante and might even kill 100 animals a day. is the number far-fetched? we'll never know until funds decline. and it is for this reason, i keep saying it doesn't solve the problem by continuously bashing spca.

instead, if anyone feels so strongly about spca's apathy, then he/she should do something concrete to turn things around. i believe in if there's a will there's a way.

becos i really don't see what all this bashing will lead to other than spca becoming more unpopular and the animals in the shelter suffering as a result of this.

again, let me repeat, i am not promoting spca. my ONLY CONCERN is what would happen to the existing animals in spca's care if the public shuns them and their funds decline.

let's imagine for a second that spca ceases to exist:-

1) what will happen to the existing animals? how many can be fostered by the rescuers? they are already asking for help for those dogs that they rescued from the dbkl dog pound.

2) where will the irresponsible owners take their pets to when they no longer want them? i think it's safe to say they'll just throw them out onto the streets.

for me, i think it'll be a lot worse if spca fails to exist, much as i abhor their kill policy. in case you're not aware, i've always taken the stand that all animals have a right to live alongside us, even on the streets. i am vehemently against the notion that they should be killed for whatever reason, unless they are in agonising pain and there is no cure in sight.

as for the lady who's selling her bungalow in titiwangsa to support the strays, she is actually helping spca in a way. she fosters the animals from spca to stop them from being killed due to space constraints. and she wants to do even more. this is why she wanted to sell her bungalow, and she is happy and willing to do that. she is a great lady that we can all emulate.

and there are about 10 dogs that she passed on to one of my hubby's cousin to keep in her house. spca gave my hubby's cousin a letter to say that those dogs are spca's and she's fostering them on their behalf until homes could be found for them. this letter comes in useful during raids by MPPJ, which has happened before as the dogs are noisy and the neighbours have lodged complaints with the MPPJ.

every month, spca gave my hubby's cousin dog food to feed the dogs, and they built an "igloo" in her garden for the dogs to play with, with their funds because my hubby's cousin is like me, a housewife without income.
sorry, andy, for shouting. they're a bit hard of hearing.

Last edited by AndyKoh; 03-20-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Very scary large red words