Banned

khengteik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to khengteik
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Dear Simon,

I quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Well, I was in tears after reading the opening post...

It's a sad fact that such events occur in all countries in the world, to either a greater or lesser extent. We should all be working pro-actively and constructively together to minimize the need for euthanasia of perfectly able and loving animals, working towards the day where such practices are no longer needed...

1) Trap-Neuter-Return Scheme

Great idea!!!! Why don't we set up a scheme here! Working in collaboration with SPCA and PAWS who I am sure would be very happy to back the scheme. We could acquire a small set of traps, recruit friendly local vets into the scheme, and make a start by doing what we can... and go on from there... the neutering cost of 60RM seems reasonable... we could see this as a worthy donation to the cause for each animal we TNR... and maybe the scheme would even attract sponsorship...

2) School Pet Adoption Program

Education is critical! Why not lobby your local school(s) to implement a pet adoption program for class rooms! Maybe some already do! It doesn't matter what type pet a class or school adopts a cat or dog from PAWS or the SPCA a rabbit or a gerbil, the key is that the children will learn in a pro-active way to love and care for the pet, which hopefully will transfer over to their adult life into love and respect for all animals.

Just couple of suggestions where I think we can all make a real contribution towards eliminating euthanasia...
As per stated in the forums, Furkid has brought up the TNR issue... but there are numerous parties that does not think the way we think.

As for issue #2, i do not deny that SPCA has been going to schools for their awareness campaign. (as per emailed to me by SPCA from my numerous straight to the point and blunt posts in pp.com). However, my argument here is again the older generation.... It is no use going to the younger generation when their parents are non animal lovers. That is why i emphasize on educating the adults more... There is no point of teaching the child to be kind to the animals if when they go back, their parents kick the cats that come into their home or saying that it is a stupid thing and a waste of money to feed the strays when they do it....

Dear nivek,

Again i stress out... and i quote from my previous post

Quote:
I am rejecting what others say because no proof is given by them... everyone says SPCA has this awareness program and that awareness program, but as an animal lover like myself who knows how to use the internet and reads the papers, i repeat, i've NEVER EVER seen any advertisements about awareness programs... the only things i've seen all the time is this sale, that sale and this fundraiser and that fundraiser.... So how would the general public especially the non-animal lovers know if there is any awareness program?
If you read carefully... I am talking about Awareness Programs... and i repeat, I never see any ads or information regarding awareness programs. all i see is this SALE, that SALE, ADOPTION, etc....

Thank you for being so kind of letting me know of SPCA Png's website. However, again the mentality is there.... first page.... everything is about sale~sale~sale, need money, etc... There is nothing on the first page regarding awareness programs... go to www.spca.com and see their content.. 80% of the content is on caring for animals.... that is on the first page...

This is why i say something is very wrong with my English... no one seems to understand me....

And again i stress out that i AM NOT AGAINST SPCA. Its just that i cannot comprehend what they are doing vs their objective

Last edited by khengteik; 03-20-2009 at 03:58 PM.