View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 AM
PetFinder Guru

jouhari is on a distinguished road
Default DIY water filter ( eat your heart out catit)

Made mine today.

Easy.

Went to aquarium shop to buy a water pump/filter. Told the tokei that it wasn't for a fish but in fact its for fish's arch enemies. CATS. He laughed and point to a corner in his shop that sells cats stuff too. So he pointed me to this particular filter for its power and price.

Shanda sdf-350 Rm 20 bucks

Went to some store to get the plastic container.

NCI storage box Rm 15 bucks

the trick?

1. you need the flat surface from the plastic container to stick your pump suction. Round basins won't work. well it will but not as easy.

2. second trick, you need at least 3/4 of the filter's body submerged in water. Yes it comes close to the cords but its ok. they are designed to be in water . its for aquariums remember? if not, you wont get a good splash and the water would have trouble getting through the filter.

why did i do it?

Went to the vets today. I saw them selling Catit made ones for rm80. I figure my cats deserve filtered water also. They always get their food in there somehow or insects get in their water. By filtering it, they can get clean water.

The uncle that sold me the water pump even gave me extra filters for free.

so here is what happens in a basin at rm5

and here is the version 2 with the plastic container.

I think that splashing sound has something to do with it. My cats ignore their normal watering hole now. Either that or its just new and we all know how curious they are.

I'm curiuos what happens if I put a fish in there....