View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rescuing a pup from being feasted by vietnamese worker

Dear Zai,

With all respect, I would only say that the difference is a cultural one.

We keep dogs and cats in our homes; many other cultures do not. They see cats and dogs as livestock, just as you see the other animals. The Hindus, after all, see cows as sacred animals -- perhaps they look at others eating beef as "barbaric" or "disgusting".

I agree with you when you say that slaughtering your cats would be like slaughtering your children -- I feel the same about my cat! But at the same time, I have a hard time saying that the Vietnamese (and others) are "heartless" or "disgusting" because their cultural norms are different from mine. And actually, from my point of view, cows, pigs, chicken, etc. are not food. I could no more slaughter and eat them than I could kill my cat. Yet I don't hurl insults at people who do eat meat.

Bottom line, I would also like to save our dogs and cats from the soup-pot. If killing them for food falls under the Malaysian law covering animal abuse, the woman who found this poor, bagged puppy could simply report the Vietnamese worker to the police, ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post
Yes Amanda,
there is a huge difference between slaughtering cows, goats, chicken, pigs and ducks for food and slaughtering cats and dogs for consumption. Dogs and cats are raised as pets in our homes. They are part of the family. To me, personally, its like slaughtering your own children. Cows, pigs, chicken etc; are food.