View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kittens: Hand over to SPCA or rehome them myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon The Paw View Post
Maneki Neko, It would be much better if all animal shelters put this on a big sign right in front of the entrance so everyone could see it. I've been to a few shelters but none of them do it. I'm confused why they don't bother.

I'm simply amazed you have the guts to do a job that you really hate. If I were you, I would definitely have nightmares every single night! I remember when I was studying in the UK and none of my classmates wanted to get a job in the RSPCA during the summer holidays.

I was thinking just to stop there, but decided to whinge a bit more first....

I just can't accept people killing animals in the shelters; it's simply beastly!!! Why do these people think they have the right to slaughter those poor animals? Because they think they are human--the "wisest" animals on earth--and that they have absolute power to do such thing?

Animals have a right to live just as much as us; they don't want to be killed any more than we do! People that run animal shelters call themselves "animal lovers", but are they qualified to do so? To qualify as an animal lover one has to be a vegan--or a vegetarian at the very least.

Animal over-population is caused by ignorant humans, so why are animals the ones that get blamed and killed?
Hi, Sharon --

Just for the record, I did not write this and have never worked in a shelter myself. This letter is from an anonymous shelter manager; it's been circulating on the internet for a while, and I thought this was an apt place to re-post it.

Like you, I can't imagine how miserable it must be to work at a shelter and administer euthanasia, and I'm sure the people who do so hate it just as passionately. They, however, are not the problem. The people who allow their pets to breed indiscriminately are the problem. "Oh, no worries -- I'll just drop all the kittens/puppies off at PAWS or SPCA, and the people there will find good homes for them... " "Spaying/neutering is cruel and unnatural. And it's expensive." "We're having a baby now so have no more time for the dog/cat."

I'm sure the shelter workers are the first people to agree with you that the killing is beastly. My heart goes out to them.