View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: .:: What's your internet connection? ::.

Well, I think I'm one of the rare breeds that are using Jaring wired broadband. Mind you, it's no easy task applying to it, with months of waiting time due to no available ports and then claiming that they dont have anymore remaining modems (I insisted that I don't need their modem as I already had one, while they insisted I have to wait for everything to become available), etc delays. But that was over a year ago, and maybe they have improved their service.

But I did not regret using it - it definitely seems much stabler compared to Streamyx - I am often getting good bandwidth for my RM77 1mbps connection, and better uptime compared to Streamyx (I had been a Streamyx user for a few years before I switched over after getting sick of it). Then again, the better speed could be a direct result of Jaring having less broadband users, thus more bandwidth to share among them.

The ironic thing is that Jaring is actually leasing the last mile telephony infrastructure from TM, very possibly even the broadband servers are shared. I accidentally found out that I can use a Streamyx account to login to my Jaring-enabled phone line, which likely means that the same server handles logins for both networks.

A note of caution though - Jaring is very proactive and responsive to abuse complains, especially if you are found to be doing BT downloads (i.e. once they receive complains from major labels about your IP detected connecting to BT trackers), or if your email is found to be sending spams, they will not hesitate to terminate your account. TMNet, on the other hand, seems to be throwing all these complains into the blackhole *see no evil, hear no evil*.