View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Hi Amanda,

Wow, I can't wait to hear the ka-ching ka-chings rolling in haha!

I've tried listening to audio books too, but I find it a bit slow, at least 2 or 3 times slower than visual reading.. I could only stand listening to short audios like BBC news, else I might fall asleep hearing out a novel! Since Kindle has text-to-speech function, you wouldn't really need to separately purchase audio books next time. However, I don't think Kindle's synthetic text-to-speech has the realistic feel of a person's accurate pronunciation and expression. Its text-to-speech availability is actually subjected to the approval of the publisher/author, although most of the ones I came across had this enabled.

Oh wait.. I don't think you should buy 3G, at least not while using it in Malaysia. You see, the 3G version only works in countries where Amazon is affiliated with and have telco agreeements. The beauty of the 3G Kindle (which also has Wifi) is that it has an embedded sim card so that you can use worldwide at no cost even for surfing (yes, Amazon pays for it, but it's already factored into the ebook prices and wireless ebook delivery fees outside of US). However, Amazon doesn't have any contract with Malaysian telcos, so you would not get any stable 3G signal here. My older Kindle (a white 3G-model) gets sporadic 3G signal from some unknown telco, which I suspect is from Thailand, as Amazon sells Kindles in Thailand.

In my opinion, you don't really need to spend $189 on a 3G + Wifi Kindle - just a $139 Wifi Kindle will do. Reason being you don't really need to constantly access the internet with the Kindle - you can always download the Amazon ebooks (or whatever other sources) through computer first and easily transfer it through USB cable to the Kindle. The 3G/Wifi is only useful if you wish to conveniently download daily newspaper subscriptions or browse the Kindle store, which you can also do manually via computer. You can always go to Starbucks or somewhere with Wifi occasionally if you wish to get a taste of this activity, or proudly surfing the web in retro Black & White.

One more problem with the 3G model is that when you purchase an ebook from Amazon and don't configure things properly in your account, Amazon would instantly push the ebook to your Kindle via 3G, and that would cost you a $2 delivery fee as Amazon detects that you are outside of US. I have suffered such fees unknowingly before, but luckily Amazon refunded them in full to me within 24 hours after I complained hehe.

Regarding the leather cover, I suggest you just buy it directly when you order the Kindle. It costs $35, and although there are lots of choices on Amazon, I think their standard one is good enough. You can carry the Kindle around like a small, thin notebook, very convenient and compact. I think black colour looks most professional and matching to the graphite Kindle.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather...in3w_ddp_bbe1?

You should try to request Amazon to ship the cover and Kindle together in one package (sometimes they can, depending on whether both items come from the same warehouse). Reason being vPost charges your shipping by parcels, and it'd have some extra parcel charge if both are separated, and shipping might then cost you RM50 or so more. Not sure about other re-routing services though, they might have better terms for multiple parcels.

One inconvenience though, is when you are browsing the Kindle store through your computer, or accessing your US Amazon account. Amazon will detect your location, and if it's in Malaysia, it would not allow you to see the Kindle ebook prices or download them. So you'll need to configure your browser to go through a US proxy server whenever you wish to browse/download Kindle books from Amazon. Don't worry though, this is a simple configuration I can help you with. It only applies to Amazon, so downloading and transferring your ebooks or audiobooks from other sources are not affected.

Btw, the Kindle can also play background MP3 music, so you can listen to some nice music while reading. Just transfer over your collection of MP3s to their music folder and Kindle will loop through the songs for you. You can hook up standard headphones or play it through their built-in loudspeakers.

If you guys would like a hands-on test, maybe we can arrange to have a drink this or next week, preferably at a place with Wifi, and I'll bring along the Kindle so you can get a feel of it. You wouldn't get accustomed to reading on it within such a short duration though, but it'd be good enough for you to preview its functions. I'd be at Mid Valley tomorrow (Wednesday) for gym, so if you want I can also meet you at Starbucks after that, say 9:30pm.

Last edited by AndyKoh; 12-28-2010 at 01:26 PM.