View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

LOL, you're right about that! We cat-slaves must stay in good health, because if our cats landed out in the big, bad, real world, the fellows at the mamak stall would probably not serve them warm water and salmon sashimi.

But our cats are so sheltered and pampered precisely because we adore them so much, right? It's highly unlikely that you'll surrender Blackie to a shelter. If your husband developed an allergy to cats, I fear we'd find him (your husband, not Blackie) on Petfinder, up for adoption. Likewise, it's pretty much til-death-do-us-part for me and Maneki.

I imagine some other pet cats have more street smarts than ours and could probably survive in a managed community in a low-traffic area. And who knows? Our cats might surprise us -- their ancient instincts might kick in.

No plan is perfect, and I'm sure TNR has its victims, too -- the cats who can't survive, or who get kicked out of the group. But it sounds like a viable alternative for many cats, and the way FK described it, it's much less drastic than I had envisioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
You know, amanda, i think my blackie would never survive out there, even if it's a managed space. we have sometimes look at blackie's lifestyle and wondered what would happen if he ever escaped and got lost out there.

he never sleeps on any cold, hard surface. he has only known soft beds or sofa all his life.....so how can he manage?

so, in this respect, I think surrendered pets may not survive out there if they're neutered and released. and, the ferals are not going to welcome a former pampered pet into their colony.