View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Animal Lover

jacinta.spca is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Hi guys,

Heard a lot about this thread, so just dropping in to say hi ;)

To clarify a few things first;

Shahrul is not a volunteer, but a paid staff of SPCA Selangor as of 6 months ago.

Someone asked an interesting question about the source of animals at SPCA Selangor. Our recent analysis shows that a little more than 40% are surrendered by owners, 50% are strays, and 10% are lost or cruelty case dogs. We're receiving between 600-700 animals per month on average.

Really nice to see that everyone is so passionate about TNR, no-kill and generally saving animals. Really encouraging to see. Please trust us when we say that the staff and volunteers at SPCA Selangor have the same interests, but we are dealing with overwhelming numbers being surrendered.

At present, only SPCA Selangor and PAWS run shelters with an Open Door policy in the Klang Valley- meaning we accept all animals. We impose surrender fees for owned animals, but not for strays (though you are encouraged to donate if you can afford it). Regardless of whether the owner pays or not, we still take in the animal. We actively counsel over the phone, e-mail and at the shelter for people to find alternative homes, neuter & release, or to address behavioural problems (which is why many owners want to surrender their aggressive/ destructive animals).

In many cases we now also offer a re-adoption scheme, whereby they are offered low-cost spay-neuter for the pet they wanted to give up. Many people surrender their pets when they start having too many, or their pets start fighting, becoming territiorial/ aggressive, peeing on the curtains, etc. People are now taking to the offer more and more - offering them a low-cost neuter and giving them back their pet, instead of taking the animal in and them paying the surrender fee.

On a more personal note, one thing that is being said over and over here and in other forums that really, really irks me. "I really wanted to save this animal, but I had no choice but to give it to SPCA/PAWS and they cruelly put it to sleep".

Everyone has a choice.

No space? Board the animal, and find a home for it.

No money? Pool funds with your family or friends and have it treated at a vet.

No time? Find someone who has the time, come to petfinder.my and ask the forummers for help.

Don't take the easy way out and leave it at a shelter, and then condemn the shelter when they are forced to euthanise the animal. You have the power to help one animal, certainly.

All SPCA staff who rescue animals don't dump them at the shelter - we actually foster, treat and rehome the animals at our own homes with our own resources - or we find someone who can foster and care for the animals. To us, its clear that the shelter is already overwhelmed so why add on to the burden?

As for TNR, its a really good concept - unfortunately one that is not very viable in a local context most of the time. It's a good idea to neuter and release cats in areas where they are cared for, but generally all strays are not tolerated by residents and municipal councils. We have hundreds of reports of abused strays (hot water, beaten to death, strangled kittens, drowned puppies, poisoned stray dogs) and also many of them fall victim to diseases, injuries, car accidents and die slow painful deaths. Unless someone is actively looking out for these neutered strays, its not advisable to just leave them to their own fates on the streets. You guys are also probably aware that the municipals catch stray dogs and pups regularly, but you should also know that many of them are starting to catch cats and kittens too.

Just my two cents worth, think Sharul is doing a good job of keeping everyone here informed of our work and clarifying all the issues that have cropped up.

It's really not easy to work in SPCA, but we take our jobs seriously.

Sometimes we get pats on the back, sometimes we get yelled at, sometimes a bouquet of flowers. Sometimes we get a photo of a happy animal we rehomed, sometimes we feel like pulling our hair out, sometimes we feel really misunderstood. At the end of the day, someone has to do "the dirty work".

While many people grouse about animal shelters, we still have other work like our dedicated neutering clinic, government lobbying, education & community outreach, and assisting animal rescuers with low-cost neutering, daily emergency pick-ups/rescues, and inspection & action on cruelty complaints. We are the only animal welfare organisation who has this full set of services in Malaysia.

Many of you seem to be doing really excellent work for the animals, its really so motivating to see these changes happening. Also - and I have to say this - some of you are really coming off as armchair activists. You really need to stop philosophizing, get away from the computer and do something useful with all that energy.

*smiles and hugs*

J

Oh. and again, special shout out to Lynette - who is always just a phone call or text away when we need help with fostering, emergency pick-up, and with events. Thats really passion in action to me.