View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Campaign Stop puppy and kitten Backyard breeder do trade through Pet Shop

To sum up:

1) Only obtain veterinary advice from qualified veterinary clinic, if price is of concern, you can choose from govt veterinary clinic.

What is important to note here : the term "private" is used to distinguished it from govt-run veterinary clinic when we talk about vet. In terms of qualification, they should all be properly qualified and properly registered.

Private DOES NOT EQUATE "illegal veterinary practices" / unlicenced veterinary services or unlicenced / unqualified persons masquerading as veterinary doctors. (i believe the human equivalent would be a "QUACK"?)

Illegal veterinary practices, unlicenced veterinary services or unlicenced / unqualified persons masquerading as veterinary doctors are just that - illegal and unqualified to provide veterinary services - no two ways about it. (in this case, a spade should be called a spade and not some Politically-correct terms).

If in doubt, you can check a list of registered veterinary doctors - i'm sorry i can't recall the link to the list - when i find it again, i'll be sure to post it here.

(i checked out this list to see whether my vets are listed here and they are , before i patronised them, and i've never looked back since).

Also if you are in doubt of the service rendered or to be rendered, always ask questions first before committing (unless it is emergency). Even if it is emergency, ask questions if you need to ask them, don't be embarassed. A good vet will not hesitate to share with you his thoughts and opinions and advice and options that you have at your disposal - including options that may be the best for your wallet as well as your pet - good professional vets are like this - i'm sure a number of forum members who have come across professional vets will attest to this

If you have done your homework and still persist in patronising unqualified veterinary services, your pet will suffer as a result of your selfishness and self-centeredness.

2) This is for new pet owner as well as "veteran" pet owner: a timely reminder : Please do not scrimp on veterinary costs and avoid taking your pet to the vet just because you think it is expensive. It all boils down to whether you care enough for your pet, if you care, you can always ask this forum to recommend several reputable vets and ask about the charges before seeing the vets to get an idea of what is the usually charges for this or that service and what you get is only an estimate because the final bill will depend on the condition of your pet, in fact you can always call a vet and ask for charges, say you want to spay/castrate a dog/cat, you can always call a vet to check whether they provide the service, whether they are certified, and what are their charges,

This opinion of mine is in no way meant to belittle those who sometimes do feel the $$$ pinch - i too feel the $$$ pinch, as are all who double up as IPR out of our own pocket money / salary. And the price definitely influence your decision especially if your paypacket s finite but your rescued "furkids" are forever expanding (not that you're complaining cos you're doing it for love of them).

However if you're unsure, it always pay to take vet's advice, and no question is to stupid to ask. Especially for new pet owner. Over time, as you build your relationship with your vet, you will learn how to spot a situation that required immediate vet attention from one that you may observe for a few days to be sure. (i was once a wet-behind-the-ears new pet owner of 4 kittens and i still remembered the times i dithered between going to the vet or not, etc. how long was that? about two years ago - seemed like such a long time my cats have grace my life with their presence).

Whenever your pet is not its usual self for a few days, it is always good to eliminate medical reason for the "unusual or not usual behaviour / self", for this you take your pet to a qualified vet and share all information you have on pet with your vet, then if medical reasons is eliminated, at least you have the peace of mind that your pet is not sick then only focus finding out other reasons for the unusual behaviour /self

The initial "Start-up" vet cost may be slightly high (in our mind we can't equate the price charged compared to the severity/non-severity of the complaint). but over time as you have ensured your pet is in good health and fed properly, your pet and you will definitely reap the benefits of your diligence in providing good vet care as a foundation to good life for your pet.

Try as you might to "sound out" your friends here for advice, etc, nothing beat solid advice from vets.

3) The topic at the heart of this discussion - as you love your furkids, spare a thought for the suffering of those furkids not fortunate enough to have a good home - through non of their fault and all because of human greed - those who were born and bred to fill greedy people's pockets. If you truly love animals the way you claim you are, you cannot failed to be moved by their plight and you cannot be indifferent to their plight and to the main source of their suffering - .....people who breed them and sell them only for profits and not for the pets' welfare..

if you boycott Backyard-cat-and-dog-and-other-animal-breeding-and-selling practices, be it one that is operated through a network of pet supplies store or operated out of an individual's house, . you'd be contributing greatly to ensuring that one day, this horrible practice is put to a stop, and by that, you'll also contribute to reducing the suffering of these animals.

if you wish to have a pet or want to give your love to a pet, consider adoption - there are so many abandoned and homeless animals in need of a loving permanent home - a chance for a life lived in dignity, security and love. You will never know how much it means to these animals - to you it means you have a new pet - but to them (the animals) it often means the difference between being alive with happiness and free of suffering OR either a life lived out in misery or slow painful death.

RECOGNISE AND RESPECT THE SANCTITY OF LIVES OF OTHER SENTIENT BEINGS AS YOU DEMAND THE SAME FOR YOURSELF

ENSURE THE OTHER SENTIENT BEINGS ARE NOT SUFFERING THE WAY YOU WOULDN'T WANT SUFFERING BE VISITED UPON YOU

ENSURE THE HAPPINESS OF OTHER SENTIENT BEINGS THE WAY YOU WISH FOR THE SAME HAPPINESS

IF THE BUYING STOP, SO WILL THE SUFFERING