View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feeding My Kittens

hi herher

we're all pleased that you're doing your best to help your kittens even though they may be temporarily staying with you.

i'm afraid i can't advice you on how to clean the ears because i always get my vet to do it for us. let me see if i can remember what my vet said about ear cleaning. the ear has its own mechanism of cleaning up and the ear wax will move out, we don't really need to clean it up that such because the cat will help each other groom itself. if there's a lot of wax buildup until you can really see it, it's a sign of mites or something like that - suspected but a vet can verify this by using an ear equipment to check the ear.

if you want to clean up the ear, try not poking the inner ear with sharp objects and not even dull objects like cotton bud. use cotton bud to clear the outer area gently and moist the cotton bud a bit. just clear out the extra gunk don't dig deep inside. then use the ear mite solution you have. you need to use it consistently.

that's why if possible try to get vet advisable for this mite problem. the solution you buy over the counter at pet shops may not be that effective. mite problem can be persistent. as to whether the mites can hide and survive anywhere else other than on the kitten, i'm afraid i don't know that much. perhaps other forumers here can advise?

aaaah,...your kittens didn't learn from its mommy how to groom themselevs. well, then you need to be their mommy and show them. well, you don't lick them.. but after you wiped them down, you can mime grooming and licking yourself on your hand and using your hand as if a paw, mime the motion of grooming your face and licking your hand.

that's how i communicated with ginger when he came back after dissapearing for 5 months. he was scared out of his mind of human beings but he came home all the same. we managed to cage him and he was so afraid we couldn't approach him to groom him. so we mimed grooming and licking and after he watched us, he groomed himself and looked so much better after that. it's worth a try.

at the back of the food bag, there's always suggested / recommended feeding guidelines by manufacturer. you can try following that if you have something to measure with.

oh btw, if you pass by any pet shop and they sell science hill you can always ask for a measuring cup. they give for each purchase of science hill but you just ask for one , don't have to buy, if they won't give, just say you have bought one last week and you weren't given the cup.

another alternative is to leave the food out for the kittens the whole day, give them lots of food in bowls and just top up when they finish.

as for orijen / acana, may i know where you're residing? at least we can tell you whether the shops we patronise is close enough to you.

i'm humbled that you think i can help you..but i feel more scared that i might tell you the wrong thing