View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help with taming feral kittens

hi lynie

Part 2: Socialization of Feral Kittens

pls go to this link : http://cats.about.com/library/guest/ucfeature4b.htm

due to copyright issues, i can't post the whole article here only an excerpt and the link to this website. i've jsut found it and think it might be workable, it's worth a try,

good luck. except below :-

Part 2: Socialization of Feral Kittens

Lost or abandoned domestic female cats teach their offspring to be "feral." These latent instincts, acquired from their African Wildcat ancestors, help them to survive in nature. Feral cats are elusive, often nocturnal, and usually fearful of humans. Like most wild animals, they will not attack if unprovoked, but will defend themselves if threatened or cornered. Their strongest instinct is to run. If they feel trapped and escape is blocked they will bite or scratch.

Never try to catch a feral by hand. Always use a humane trap. I suggest a semi-heavy long sleeved shirt, jeans, and thick gloves, for your protection and depending on the age of the feral.

I know of two methods that for socializing ferals that will work:

* The one you are about to read, and I believe to be the one most commonly used.
* The other is something on the new side, called "The T Touch". I have heard some very positive comments about, but as of yet have not attempted it myself.

if you can't get the link let me know