Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: For Free OR For Sale!

[QUOTE=CatLover;81610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Yes, indeed -- it is about the pet.

//But did the "adopter" state her true intentions when she adopted the cats? Did she tell the rescuers that she was going to turn around and try to sell them for profit by falsely advertising their pedigrees? Not likely. //
When the tobacco companies sponsor a tournament, will they tell u their main intention is to advertise themselves and increase sales? When you buy a pack of soya milk, did they say that it's a GM product and you might get cancer afterwards?

If you re-read what I wrote, the main point I tried to state is, she can do what she wants, trick a new owner into believing her but it IS our very own responsibility to choose what to believe.

//Will the "adopter" screen potential buyers carefully to ensure the cats go to a good, loving, caring home? Not likely. //
So you are saying, that any potential adopters, will CERTAINLY provide a good loving caring home? while a potential buyer is less likely to do so?
Hence my point that, any fees paid, be it small, will induce a sense of responsibility and possession.

//If we believed that these cats -- both seemingly adopted under false pretenses -- were likely to find great homes, we wouldn't be making a fuss in the first place. //
A potential buyer/ adopter HERE IS wanting a pet, not the BRAND (breed) of a cat. S/he wants to love a cat. This adoption website IS NOT a shopping mall.

//My personal opinion: if "this Nur-lady" as you put it, has to go through the trouble of misleading people to get their cats and resell them, she could probably find an easier and more decent way to make a living. A "distributor of cats" is not something to aspire to. Cats are NOT products. Let her distribute vacuum cleaners or boot-leg DVDs.//
Never once I mentioned that cat is a product But you mentioned it so detailed: product, hovers etc. And you also think that a caring adopter is looking for a certainly type of breed, in order to love a cat. Now I'm intrigued why do you unconsciously think like that. hmm
You're right, jangan gaduh2 dah. Best thing is - Catlover, please take the time to browse through the forums and listings, it will be a real eye opener, and it might just change your mind about certain things, for instance why maneki thinks certain adopters are just looking for a certain type of breed, in order to love a cat. (cats with 'breed'characteristics typically go like goreng pisang panas, time after time after time vs 'normal' cats.

I understand where you're coming from - that it's fosterer's responsibility to make sure cats are placed properly, that a small fee is likely to induce a sense of responsibilty etc..so yes, let this be a lesson to fosterers. BUT at the same time, the objective of this website is to place pets with loving homes, and that should be the be all and end all. Anybody who takes a pet for free and sells them at a price is strongly violating the ethics and objective of this site, and that is why, we want this stopped, for the sake of the animals.

Nobody asked that person to spend time, petrol etc to be a middleman; if it's so much trouble, she could just point a friend towards this website and have the real adopters do the adopting themselves. No trouble, no fuss. No reason to take pets for free and sell them elsewhere.

I do believe that u really are a catlover, so please, please do take a tour around this website, and you just might change your stand.