View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Abuse of PetFinder

I think the key to reduction of strays is in properly educating pet owners, as well as the pet shops that sell these pets.

Stopping people from buying pets is not going to work - there will always be such a demand for various reasons, and it is much better for us to provide support for the genuine, humane ones rather than to let the underground ones and black sheeps proliferate.

We can liken the scenario to comparing the effectiveness of abstinence vs using contraception in humans. Abstinence will not work on most people whether we choose to believe it or not, and the most important thing is to sufficiently educate the people so that they have proper knowledge on how to prevent unwanted pregnancies (short of neutering and spaying each other).

That is why we have to build PetFinder into a portal that caters to the entire pet loving community - only with a broad outreach can we effectively disseminate information on how to manage pets, prevent strays, animal abuses etc.

I think the best way is for us to observe the results and see how things go. This is a learning process for all of us, and with more supporting statistics and responses down the road, we can always optimize and improve on PetFinder, to ensure that our missions and noble goals are met.