Thread: Tortoises!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Fast & Furry

CatMother is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Tortoises!

Juz to share my "tortoise" story in here with everybody.

True, cannot really differentiate whether they are male or female - tried to "check" the pattern marks but still couldn't tell hehe. I've got 2 tortoise - Toty & Tito. Toty is 4yro & Tito is 1.5yro. But Tito has grown bigger than Toty - odd though coz I've been feeding them with same food! That's how I can tell who is who.

Anyways, I juz bought a larger plastic tank for both of them - I used to keep them in separate tank but hoping that I could breed tortoise & keep them together (although not sure of their gender! haha). You can keep them in a normal plastic container - water level should be below their shell. Otherwise, put a stone/brick for landing spot. (Last night i bought 2pcs of wooden log from a petshop in Desa Pandan - RM3/each)

Yes, can feed them with kangkung also - in fact they love it! I feed them 2x a day - but if i forgot to feed them, they will start "digging" the pebbles and making noise! Otherwise, there's a economy pack palette (i think around <>RM20) that lasted up to >6 months!

Oh, I juz found out last night that you can also use the filter - so that you don't have to clean the aquarium every now & them. I change the 3x a week - kalau tidak... busyuk!! Hehe. Also, i will clean their shell using a toothbrush - coz it will be sticky & dirty from time to time.

You might hear "hissing" sound coming from them sometimes - hehe. All in all, try communicating with them - juz like other pets. Oh, one more thing - i heard people say be careful not to let them bite your hand etc. coz they won't let go easily! Dunno whether it's true but hey, not worth taking the risk leh!

::the 3d clanz::
Everything happens for a reason