View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Memory of Ringo... Clumping Litter?

Hi Pakcu/Abgraldo

I'm sorry to hear about Ringo. He's now happy at the Rainbow Bridge, yes. May he be free of suffering forever and be full of happiness forever.

Coincidentally, I'm also using breeders celect. I started using it a year ago, when i bought a pack at the Matrade Cat show. I'm now a firm believer and loyal user of breeders celect.

I have bought a dual/double layer litter tray. it comes in either soft blue or pink. it was recommended by the abco asia people - yes, the folks who promoted breeders celect at the merdeka cat show. this tray can now be easily obtained from any carrefour outlet. strange. carrefour staff must have lurked in www.vet.com.my because i posted a long thread/article about litter material/tray/cleaning up. i made a big case for recycled paper pellet and the double layer tray there. i didn't do it here cos i didn't have the time yet

actually through observation and personal experience, regardless of type of litter material - this dual/double layer is the best as it provide optimal results of your litter material. the tray is of plastic material and quite sturdy and "pretty" in construction.

the upper layer has a filter-like bottom with holes, this enable the urine to pass through and collect at the bottom tray. when the litter material (regardless of whether sand or clay (non-clumping) or recycled fiber pellets) is not soaked in urine, there will be little to no smell (depending jugak on what you feed your pet - lots of non-meat protein ingredients means lots of smell lah, also unneutered cat urine stinks more) and no urine soaking the litter material means it will last longer, easy to dispose off (just use the given scoop) and you don't have to use or waste a lot of litter material.

on this recycled paper pellet, there's little to no smell, whether it's urine or faeces. honest truth here, i've been using it for a year. my sis is also a believer in breeders celect and she'd scold me for buying any other brand, no matter if the store is out of stock, i kena race across kl and pj to find some jugak! (that's why i finally get hold of abco asia folks so they can tend to my emergencie if there's no stock available near my house).

if you give your cat enough depth to work with (depending on your cat, some like lots of stuff to dig through, some only like a thin layer), the cat will definitely cover up the poo with the paper pellet - and there won't be smell.

so imagine, all you need to do is scoop up the poo and dispose of either properly wrapped up in newspaper and plastic bag or down your toilet bowl. very simple. as for the urine, lift up the upper tray and place on some newspaper (in case the bottom is wet from urine) and just pour the content of the bottom tray into your toilet bowl, rinse out with water and flush your toilet bowl. for added hygiene (it's a must for me and my household), rinse out with some diluted dettol so the tray stays clean longer.

i clear out the whole tray once a week and replaced the litter material totally. during the week, if there is increased usage, then i will throw out some litter material and replaced with some fresh litter material so that the tray stays fresh the whole week. the weekly clean-out include soaking the whole tray and scoop in diluted dettol or bleach - but now i use "germisep" a animal and human safe disinfectant. tablet form.

you must also do your part in keeping the litter tray clean try to practice clearing out poops and urine at least twice a day if possible, if not clean it out daily. don't think just because it's buried, you can forget about it. your cat won't forgive you if you don't clean his/her litter tray. plus if the litter tray is dirty, they may be forced to pee/poo at other places. fancy them peeing or pooing on your sofa/bed/clothes/dining table/laundry basket full of clothes, etc? if that happens you have only yourself to be blamed.

packu/abgraldo, thank you for sharing your experience here with all readers even though it is reopening old wounds.

we wish little ringo all the best and our prayers will always be with him. i'm sure even though his time with you may be short, he lives in your memory and heart forever.