View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Hi Amanda,

Glad to be able to share some info with you. Books and gadgets are both my passion, and this Kindle hits right on both spots

Yes you are right, I used precisely that method to fund my Amazon account - I purchase gift cards from my Malaysian account and send it to my US account which the Kindle is tied up with.

Beside purchasing on Amazon, there are also those common and easy ways to obtain ebooks and audiobooks which you guessed *wink*.

Another plus of a Kindle is that if you purchase a book, you can read it on any other device that has kindle software, such as a computer, iPad, and many types of smartphones. Your bookmarks and notes can also be synced to Amazon and across devices.

Regarding shipping, I made use of vPost, which is a shipping/rerouting service by Singapore post. They have a warehouse in Oregon which Amazon can ship to, and they would accept the parcel on behalf of you, then ship it to your Malaysian address. The total time taken is about 10 days. You can also try services like OneNow, MyUS and Borderlinx, which partners with DHL for faster priority shipping.

I don't think there would be any troubles with tax as this is not a mobile phone or a taxable item. I haven't encountered any problems using vPost for shipping 3 times this year. However, note that vPost passes your parcel on to Pos Laju to deliver it in Malaysia, and that is not exactly the most reliable or reputable service haha. So you might want to consider those other alternatives as well.