View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question: Why do dogs run in circles?

Ha! Ha! Here is another one: To get to the other side of the street?

... and another:

Because cats don't.

Cats chase almost everything else, and they look very graceful as they do it. They take their dainty little paws and give a couple of gentle taps to their cat toy, and then chase after it themselves with dignity, decorum and style. Dogs watch with disdain, and chase their tails to show cats the right way to try to catch something.

Dogs chase balls, Frisbee's, bugs, invisible people, and noises to name but a few. They put their body and soul into the run to get the toy. As they start to run, you see legs flying in four different directions, ears flopping in the wind, tail up like a spoiler, tongue glued to the side of their face drooling a river. There is so much drool you could almost use it as a roadmap. When they get two or three feet away, they start the skid. They make an impressive skid mark with their two back legs and butt and have enough left in them to grab the toy before they fall over in a heap of fur, legs and tongue. If you look at their faces after the skid, you will swear they are smiling. If they somehow miss the toy and skid past, they keep their eyes locked on it, and do a four legged scramble that has grass, dirt, and fur flying in all directions. When they get back to the toy, they will do a kind of freefall jump with all four paws on top of it, and then grab it with their mouth that has now become a small waterfall of drool. That's when they bring the toy/stick/ball back to you, nice and slimy, so you can do it all over again.

So, both cats and dogs love to chase things, but they go about it in totally different ways. Cats don't chase their tails, but they do chase other cats' tails. Dogs chase almost anything that moves, even their own body parts, they can't help it. It is written in their DNA, they are hardwired to chase. No matter how much they want to sit and look dignified and superior and aloof (like cats) if something moves, they're off! They don't necessarily want to, but if they get the opportunity to play, they will.

It is like the old joke about dog and cat diaries:

8:00 am Dog Food My favorite thing!
9:30 am A car ride My favorite thing!
9:40 am A walk to the park My favorite thing!
10:00 am Got rubbed and petted My favorite thing!

The cats' diary says:

Day 983 of captivity..

Dogs will always try to make the best of a situation, and are the masters of improvisation. Having a tail handy is just another blessing in a long line of favorite things.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies